1990 Muddy Fox Courier Prestige

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Had to get this one finished before I can get on with the Dyna-Tech I have just brought home. Have been playing with this one for a while now, building up enough Suntour kit to replace what was on it already - mostly it had the standard kit, XCD? Chainset, Xpress shifters, wobbly plastic brake levers, Expert rear mech, dia compe brakes. I’ve been buying the rougher looking XC Pro, XC Comp and Expert kit, giving it a clean and a service, chucking it in a box ready for the time when I get this one done. Some of it as you can see is in serviceable but not pretty condition. The brakes are the cheap ones from SJS cycles, jazzed up with some new Suntour straddle cables and hanger. I realise they are both rear specific, I’ve read the stuff saying why that is - on a quick ride they stopped me fine without either locking up the front nor fading away to not stop at all. I’ve got a Pederson set on a tourer which I’ve done many miles on without issue, may be because I’m a big lump they don’t ever lock up like some of the stories I’ve read! It’s ended up closer to the Prestige Pro spec and consequently has a much higher quality feel to it. I went for a ride ages ago with the original kit on it and the Xpress shifters and Dia Compe plastic levers felt like they were going to fall apart. Much improved now!

The frame I think someone has tried to clear coat over the “patina” in the past as there are lots of odd ripples in the finish. It wasn’t in a great state when I got it and am almost thinking of stripping and repainting, I hesitate because there’s the little paw decals to replace. I know it’s doable just not sure this frame warrants the expense? For now it’s had a thorough degrease, all of the rust spots treated with vactan and touched in (badly!) with a special blend of nail varnishes from the wife’s collection to try and replicate the brown/gold speckled finish. It’s a bugger to try and get the right amount of gold speckles! Strangely faded on one side decals.

This particular era of Muddy Fox is the one I remember best as I’ve probably mentioned before it was the range from the Katana catalogue that was plonked in the front of John Lewis sports department. We were allowed to look but not touch!

ECD55AF0-3EE6-4D4D-AD5B-31333BACC5BE.jpeg FC0FD037-5B5C-42CE-8ABB-78FF2A4E9B89.jpeg AA026F2F-5FFB-44F7-B45B-0E4F7847E4E4.jpeg 5F1CD726-3CC5-4377-B2B6-89945971C1BE.jpeg 2080B7DD-CA66-47BE-8559-B235C1EF2E4D.jpeg 02E5D261-09FB-49AB-B2B4-2330C6100A2E.jpeg 43EB486F-13D5-4C32-80EB-6938984D2CA5.jpeg 35D6A31C-A604-4F9F-9972-3379BF5A7632.jpeg 41D9503C-C77C-4127-94FE-BA62565F98AF.jpeg

Very nice. I like a good muddy fox. I had a courier comp bitd for thrashing to work on in the winter.

The only problem with using those brakes on the front is that the cam inside is actually working against you / not at all. Ive done it with no issue too (for research / stupidy/ curiosity reasons)

Is it a keeper?

Very nice. I like a good muddy fox. I had a courier comp bitd for thrashing to work on in the winter.

The only problem with using those brakes on the front is that the cam inside is actually working against you / not at all. Ive done it with no issue too (for research / stupidy/ curiosity reasons)

Is it a keeper?
Yes it’s a keeper, I don’t sell much! Well that’s not strictly true, I do sell some stuff but don’t think I’ve ever sold one I’ve taken the time to post in readers bikes, think that’s my barometer for how much I like a bike.

Like you the brakes were a bit of an experiment - plus they are shiny and new so look better! I’ve got a plan for the brakes
- buy another couple of sets from SJS for the Suntour brake blocks and some of the bolts etc, £8 a set can’t go wrong.
- I’ve got a ratty set of XC Pro cantis I’ll repaint and use as much hardware as I can from the SEs
- End up with two sets of brakes, both having rear XC SE and front XC Pro

Thats tidy!

I had a Prestige Comp once. Still have a Prestige Pro in the garage waiting for a build - yours has given me the motivation. :cool:

Thats tidy!

I had a Prestige Comp once. Still have a Prestige Pro in the garage waiting for a build - yours has given me the motivation. :cool:
Would be amazing to see a Prestige Pro, don’t think I’ve ever seen one!

Latest posts

Back