1990 marin bear valley

skunk73":1f37npur said:
To think that mine once looked like this. Mine's a 1990, recently pressed back into service after lying in the shed for best part of a decade, and hadn't seen regular use since mid-90s.

Is now a rust-bucket commuter but I've warmed to its beat-up look. Seeing pics of well-preserved ones has encouraged me to spruce it up a bit.

Currently has some cheap chain ring set of which only the middle one can be accessed, so limited to about five gears (I have a short commute).

Has those Scott full wrap-around lo-pro handlebars, with no tape left on them. We thought they were cool back then but you never see them now.

Front wheel so buckled that braking is hazardous. All rims worn to concave.

Might fix the front derailleur, get a new front wheel. New pedals (cheap ones) currently in the post.

Never saw myself saying this when I dug it out of the shed a year ago but I might put it back on the trails yet.

--

That's in great nick btw. I'm envious. You seem to be implying that the 1990 didn't have black rims? Pretty certain mine did. I got a set of Ground Control 1.95s fitted by the dealer (it's all coming back now). Those handlebar grips don't look like mine and also pretty sure mine are originals, and just to be really annoying, yours seems to be missing 'Marin' in white letters descending each of the forks.

It does look like a 1990 though. Instant-recognition moment. That's the bike that was the envy of my school biking community in the spring of that year. The next best thing were a couple of 89-Rockhoppers. ;)

Wondering what would be a current near-equivalent wheel to the original Arayas because I need a new one?

Also, what's the current rough equivalent of Shimano Exage 400 LX; I need a new front mech

Anyone know? Thanks.

You should be able to find Araya rimed wheels and 400LX mechs in good nick on here no worries, you don't need to get new. Worth asking in the wanted thread. ;)

Can anyone tell me the head tube diameter on these? I know that the 1991 was a 1-1/8th but I can’t find the information on 1990 specs. Thank you

Back