1989 (?) Yeti FRO

You mic'd it and measures 26.6mm?

Steel tubes have a tolerance so, it happens that some are a bit over that's normal.

My 87 Valkyrie was meant for a 27.2 post and there is no way it will accept one. I know of several others like that.

Regardless, I'll start tracking the seatpost size in my DB.

Seatpost says 26.6.

Measuring the ID of seattube gives me various results: 26.8 right at the top, 26.6 3cm down the tube.

Right... I have a FRO with a 26.6 post, but it's a loose fit in the ST.

I think that FROs were all designed as 26.8 but dimensional tolerance and things like that may mean some ended up slightly undersized.

Re:

This is probably boring for most but maybe helpful for future reference.

In this catalogue, probably the first one from 1986/87, it is stated that the seattube is 26.6mm.

first-brochurews.jpg

Re: Re:

Rahbari":kys0h1c3 said:
This is probably boring for most but maybe helpful for future reference.

I know things have gone off at a bit of a tangent here but I find this thread compulsive lunchtime reading :LOL:
sure I like looking at pictures of build progress, but this is interesting

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I'll check 309 when I get home, but I swear they were all 26.8 and only the 85s was 26.6

Good detective work.

Martin, I have a new theory:

Frame is XR 335, it is one of the first with the 2nd gen. Yetiman (making it 1987) and one of the first with oval top tube. At a later point, the stem was added. The stem seems to be custom, as the shaft is made of Aluminium, just like the A-TAC ones. Also, the paint of the stem seems perfect wheres forks and frame have been touched up a lot. In addition, the stem, being cromo, should have been labelled "Yeti". However, it was labelled "FTW" (aluminium models)

Can you try to fit a 26.8 post and report back if it fits?

FWIW 309 takes a 26.8, but the owner of 314 says it takes a 26.6.

The red Yeti is decidedly 26.6 and will not accept a 26.8

Back