1989 Orange Clockwork.

Re:

That's a proper dilemma mate... Even factoring in the random chaos of Orange circa 1989-1992 it still is something of an anomily that doesn't compute.

I'm pretty certain my first CW was '92 - it had been ridden and raced througout winter before I brought it in uni finals summer. I'm about 95% sure it was MD set as the ratios look right from memory - but the chainring decals had departed or been peeled off by the time I got the bike which doesn't help. SO.. there is a very remote possiblity it could have even been the "powerflo" chainset that preceeded it :|

Makes me wonder what came first, product or catalogue? with the benefit of google now MD definitely doesn't appear till '93 but I'm quite suspicious that MD might have been available to builders before it got into the '93 catalogue. Is that possible?

I would agree with the thinking that the bike company's were supplied with all the new group sets/ parts before they hit the shelves in the bike shops for us to buy.

Re:

Agreed. In fact, I remember Orange getting hold of the 1993 Shimano LX stuff miles before anyone else. It was modelled on a Clockwork in MBUK when it was first reviewed.

Saying that, the frame is still too early for MD. :( :LOL:

Re:

That is an absolute beauty. As close to NOS for a bike that has been ridden.

Is it really too small? Nothing a slightly longer stem won't fix?

Re:

The stem is already a good 140mm! :LOL:

The bar is also miles too narrow and I don't want to change kit like that. No worries though as I rarely use my retro anyway so it can sit there and be admired. Probably move it on at some point as it's a shame to keep it unused but certainly in no rush.

Great find ed!

I noticed what looks like an Orange sticker at the bottom of the seat tube. Is it just a generic decal or something unusual? :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 440
Re:

Cheers mate, how's the yellow/white coming on? The decal is for a shop in Carlisle but not the one the chap said he bought it from. :?

Found one or two small marks that the original owner seems to have touched up with the correct colour paint. Bet he got that when he bought it as I remember getting some paint supplied with mine. Perfect match and you really have to look to find them.

Chucked a pair of amber walls on today and think it improves things. Saddle simply there for the time being. :cool:

Attachments

• WP_20160414_003.jpg
    WP_20160414_003.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 428
  • WP_20160414_002.jpg
    WP_20160414_002.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 428
Back