1989 ORANGE CLOCKWORK BIKE COLLECTION. (unfinished)

Cheshire1980

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hi all :D ,

Having far too many Orange projects, i thought i would post up a few pictures of my 1989 Clockwork collection. The one Clockwork is complete, the other two it's a case of cabling up and just finishing them off (parts all in garage), alas time always seems to be against me. :facepalm:

The Orange white fade Clockwork, Frame number A309 A0009 is ??? a very early one. It is made from Tange infinity tubing, it's a size 18 inch frame. It dons the original white bars and stalk stem. The groupset is a mixture of period DX, LX and XT for this build. I have Mavic Oxygen M6cd rims with ground control/smoke (front) tyres. It also sports a rolls saddle and period Blackburn bottle cage i found at the Tip!

The Black Orange, was a frame and forks I bought off Brocklanders recently, A real gem, paint work is in pristine condition, really like the way the decals are set on this. Reminds me of a black 91 Prestige!! The frame is made from Orange Individually selected tubes. The frame number is A309 A0228. It also measures around 18 inches. It comes with the original Stalk stem which Brocklanders kindly left on, and plain black bars. I have decided to build this with Mountain LX groupset, biopace hp rings. I decided on Araya NMT 18 Wheels with some new Kenda amberwall tyres. Although I will probably change the tyres at some point for some more period specific ones. This Clockwork is my favorite :cool:

The final Clockwork, is in the unusual Yellow and white fade, which i know a couple of retrobikers on here, MAT, and Mark (emjay) have this colour scheme. Mats is a particularly rare and fine build, as his dons Campagnolo and is a similar frame size..(Excellent Thread done by Mat on his build). Emjay, previously owned by Brocklanders, is a larger frame, 21 inch I think, which appears to have excellent paintwork, as seen from pictures on this site. Really looking forward for that one to be built up as I really like Marks (Emjays) bike builds..

This example has good paintwork also, and exceeded expectations as the only unoriginal item on it is the chain!
I travelled to Shepshed in Leicestershire to collect this bike off the original owner, (a great Chap) who seemed passionate in retro items, he reminded me of a young Henry Cole (Shed & Buried TV program) with his enthusiasm with his garage full of interesting items, such as a restored Ford Capri.. He said he purchased the bike as a teen from a bike shop in Melton Morwbray.. The bike comes with Shimano DX groupset, Mavic M7cd rims, Specialized Ground controls, Selle san marco Corvo Saddle, which he was adamant that this was the saddle that came with it. So it stays despite it ugliness :shock: .. The frame number is A89124087, made from Tange Infinity tubing also. The chap also said he had some touch up paint that was given with the bike, and if he finds it will post on. So if Mat or Mark ever need a touch up there ace bikes am happy to help out! He also said he had an Orange Team poster of that era somewhere in his house, and this would be passed on also if found! So fingers Crossed ;)

Attachments

• DSCN1136.JPG
    DSCN1136.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,292
  • DSCN1135.JPG
    DSCN1135.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,306
  • DSCN1125.JPG
    DSCN1125.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,313
  • DSCN1126.JPG
    DSCN1126.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,307
  • DSCN1130.JPG
    DSCN1130.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,295
  • DSCN1129.JPG
    DSCN1129.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,294
  • DSCN1131.JPG
    DSCN1131.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,291
  • DSCN1137.JPG
    DSCN1137.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,293
Great collection and the yellow/white in particular was quite a find, and I think worth every penny. Nice to meet the original owner.
Very generous offer of touch up (mine would probably need a couple of tubs!) and may be useful as an original against which to get a RAL code?
My 'build' thread is still a dismantle and collect parts thread, but I really must get on with things!
Cheers!

Thanks guys... :)
If I get the touch up paint will pass on the paint number reference. Yes always good to meet the original owner, a real character and top bloke! Just need to finish them off...and then move on to my prestige collection...lots of projects.. but lots of £££, and lack of funds....

Never seen the Yellow fade before. Looks great.

Wish I had the time to get my one bike up and running never mind tackling several.

Re:

Great stuff Calum, super collection. :cool:

Interesting to see the orange/White has 'Clockwork' on the top tube as most 89's are the other way round.

Yeah your right Ed in regards the decals on the Orange and white fade one being the other way round normally. If you look at Tim Davies Orange Clockwork from 89 his bike also has Clockwork on the top tube.. Although Orange are not ones for being all that consistent and experimenting with decals seems popular..
Also really chuffed with the black Clockwork... cheers Ed..

Re:

No worries pal, glad it went to a good home as it was wasted sat in my garage. By the way, it is also a Tange infinity frame as the original owner gave me the decal I sent with the frame.

I have only seen the 'orange selected tubes' decal on one other Clockwork and that was the one I had that was marked as a prototype. The Formula came with a similar one but not quite the same.

Back