1989 Marin Bear Valley

Bryncrug72

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally after many years I find my first mountain bike a 1989 Marin Bear Valley
(not the actual one as some scrote nicked that in 91 !) I'd saved up for 8 months paid £500 to Thornhill Cycles in Birmingham and waited ...I loved that bike and was absolutely gutted when it was stolen.
So when I saw this come up right size, age, I had to have it !
Looked more or less original apart from a couple of components and was fitted with a decent rack and full mudguards obviously the previous owner had been using it as a commuter

With the rack and the guards off it was starting to look more familiar, I was tempted to keep it original but I want to use it and when I was 17 I couldn't afford the upgrades I wanted so its being stripped and tricked up !

I'm thinking of getting the frame and forks refurbished, probably powder coated, I'm tempted to keep the front and rear mech's, a Paul duo lever with an XT2 thumbshifter for the front and a 7 speed gripshift for the rear ( still got to source that ) The wheels run straight and true with no play and the cassette has been recently replaced as has the chain so they are ok, i'm tempted to go slightly modern on the rims and hubs and use splashbacks as this is going to be a rider not a queen, the Overburys/Thornhill Pioneer will have to wait a bit longer !

Attachments

• BV001.jpg
    BV001.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 570
  • BV002.jpg
    BV002.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 571
  • BV003.jpg
    BV003.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 569
  • BV004.jpg
    BV004.jpg