1988(?) Muddy Fox Limited Edition Valuation?

DesertRyder

GT Fan
What's the collective opinion on what looks like an all original Muddy Fox Limited Edition. My research says it may be a 1988 model.

From What I can see it has a Sugino AP110 Triple Crankset, Suntour XC 9000 RD, Araya RM25 Wheelset, SunTour Accushift Thumb shifters, Roller cam Brakes front/rear on chainstay, Muddy Fox quill stem, Muddy Fox tires. I believe it is Cro-Mo triple butted Tange. Looks like a teal color. May even have original lycra covered seat.

How rare are these? I've never seen one.

Muddy Fox LE a.jpg
Muddy Fox LE d.jpg
Muddy Fox LE b.jpg
Muddy Fox LE c.jpg
Muddy Fox LE e.jpg

Wowsers! They're pretty rare, but a few have turned up on here already. Use the search field in the top right hand corner and you'll see a few build threads. Yours looks fully original apart from the saddle! I think these came with Muddy Fox branded leather saddles.

Value wise, the market for old bikes is very weak. Some stuff is still selling OK, but the internet is full of dreamers thinking they can get £500 for a crappy BSO (bike shape object) with no provenance and crap components that was only worth £250 brand new 30 years ago. And with this happening there's loads of wrongly inflated prices and misinformed/dreamers as sellers and they're stuck on eBay for ages.

You should be able to get £500 - £750 for it, perhaps more as the XC9000 groupset is very desirable in itself. I see you're in Nevada so also not sure how desirable Muddy Fox's are in the US v.s the UK. There is quite a big fan base of old Muddy Fox's in the UK, but not sure the US feels the same though.

If you want top dollar, then eBay or Facebook would be your biggest audience, but accept that eBay & PayPal take a cut and with FB you have to deal with lots of idiots.

@Cristian-T might be able to help with a more informed answer as I know he has a soft spot for old Fox's...

Thanks for the insight. I agree the market is soft for vintage (old) bikes even here in southern Nevada.
I was more curious about value as a personal note. The seller is asking $150 USD.

I have enough bikes but am always looking for unusual bikes for personal use and what I consider my keeper collection.
Right now my "keepers" would be my GT STS DH, Fisher CR-7, and Ellison built Revolution E-Stay.
My other two are also Fisher bikes. A Montare and an Aquila. these two I would consider selling but only if I had to.

Thanks for the insight. I agree the market is soft for vintage (old) bikes even here in southern Nevada.
I was more curious about value as a personal note. The seller is asking $150 USD.

I have enough bikes but am always looking for unusual bikes for personal use and what I consider my keeper collection.
Right now my "keepers" would be my GT STS DH, Fisher CR-7, and Ellison built Revolution E-Stay.
My other two are also Fisher bikes. A Montare and an Aquila. these two I would consider selling but only if I had to.
$150 is a great buy for that bike IMHO.

Latest posts

Back