1989 Chas Roberts 'Stratos'

Re: What's in a name?

mrkawasaki":3k4as13k said:
not the curved (suspect Ritchey Logic) forks in the ad.

Mr K

wash your mouth out, they'd be hand made, fillet brazed forks by the man himself to match that beautiful frame, not mass produced TIGged things from Taiwan!

Wow, I had forgotten all about that model. Nice find! Off to update my ebay searches :)

Why on earth would you respray that?

Those Switchblades do look cool though, their slimness and rake suits the frame perfectly. Very nice indeed!

Edit: Yup, clearly track 2s. :oops: DrS's for sale Switchblades are ruling my mind !!

ferrus":1ja2md2t said:
Those Switchblades do look cool though, their slimness and rake suits the frame perfectly. Very nice indeed!

Look like track 2s from here, but I agree about the nice pairing of the f and f.

pete_mcc":1ya689wq said:
mrkawasaki":1ya689wq said:

Mr K

wash your mouth out, they'd be hand made, fillet brazed forks by the man himself to match that beautiful frame, not mass produced TIGged things from Taiwan!

:LOL: Harsh but fair! I'd always wondered how the Tawainese managed to pull of instilling credibility in both the Track 2s and Project 2s (and Switchblaes come to think of it) from such early days (having Joe Murray's name obviously helped) - they wouldn't have been able to do that post-1993 once the Americans had decided enough was enough with their 'made in America' campaign.

Did Roberts make a straight bladed fork (I don't think curved suits it, either) for any of their MTBs I wonder - that'd be cool to get them to make up a new one to an original specification... Having said that, when I contacted them up for information on this frame they were less than enthusastic... :-(

Mr K

Just how long is that stem?

Loved this when I last saw it and still do, but how can you contemplate putting suspension forks on a 1989 frame? :roll:

;)

Yeah! That is stunning! Nice to to see something built so nicely from the UK! The craftmanship on this can compete with anything out of the States!
Thanx Max

mrkawasaki":j2v07ybj said:
pete_mcc":j2v07ybj said:
mrkawasaki":j2v07ybj said:

Mr K

wash your mouth out...ramble..etc!

:LOL: Harsh but fair! ....Track 2s and Project 2s ...'made in America' campaign etc

Did Roberts make a straight bladed fork
Mr K

:D Nothing against the track2s/project 2s/logics or any other taiwanese stuff and I certainly wasn't joining the american is best lobby (look where that got their car industry) but a handmade english bike should have a handmade english fork. Roberts did a range of fillet brazed forks in curved and straight although as you said he's not really 'into it' much anymore. I say a nice colour matched 531 Pace RC30 would look rather special on it, and maybe a stem that is shorter than 180mm ;)

Back