1989 Carerra Quatrro Comp gt 20 miles old!!!!!

rcookscowen":2utmt88j said:
Peeps have always loved to knock a Carrera, cos its Halfords 'own brand'... but like for like price, theyve always taken some beating... people who would never buy a Carrera, would never buy a Skoda for the same reasons.... I think these Comps where 500 quid... Halfords flagship at the time, and for a full XT specced bike, and a 531 frame, that offered excellent value... nowt wrong with a Carrera!!

Fully disagree based on my experience above. Was it a full 531 frame? Did it really offer "value" in the round, or just some eye catching spec at a price point to seduce some buyers?

Not sure you comment regarding Skoda is true either. I own an Octavia. It's was cheaper than the equiv. VW/Seat/Audi. Not quite as nice as those but it does offer value, unlike, IMHO, that generation of Carreras

The frame appears to be the same build as the Katmandooo I had. This was the 501 magnum tubing and the frame was well finished with proper mud clearance? I cant see the Quattro being worse, they have proper dropouts, decent stops and bridges. Everything looks neat but the magnum range was sturdier tubing. I was never a fan.

I have an mtb frame made from 531CS - now thats a bit bonkers in comparison.

file.php

file.php

Re:

This site throws up some interesting debates eh!

i guess a lot is down to opinion - that was my point about skoda, not the cos, more the badge... some people still wont buy a skoda cos its a skoda, and assume them all to be crap....theyve made some dogs, but many gems too... same as some people assume all carreras to be crap cos of the badge.....

Re:

Having actually having owned one of these I've gotta agree with nick on this one... It's like hanging an Armani jacket on a cheap plastic hanger :LOL:

Fair enough, each to their own eh.... Like I say, full xt ... Your right, something may give for the price..I know the rockhopper a we sold alongside it where way lower specked, but yeh maybe you preferred their frame... Still makes it good value for the price in its day... But I'm sure people assumed spesh's where better, cos of the name... Anyway.... I like em, they offered good value for the price.....

Back