1988 TVT Carbone restoration & rebuild with Dura Ace 7400/02

Re:

cloonaghpat":ph83h4b1 said:
Great work, love the paint.

james_from_stoke":ph83h4b1 said:
This is going to be one good looking bike. That fade is lovely

Thanks for the kind words, they all help to realise i've made the right choice. The frame is pretty much finished and i'm really pleased with it, even though i have lost a lot of sleep over the decision to repaint it, and lose most of that original TVT carbon finish.

Re:

Finally some photos of the finished frame :D

I've applied some TV friendly slightly over sized decals with the rear stay integral decals positioned on the side for more exposure which i'm still not sure on? I will wait and see how things look once i start adding components..................That aside, the paintwork is 1st class and has certainly revived what was a tired old TVT

Iain has done a fantastic job, and if anyone would like to see more of his handy work, have a quick search for Liquid Colour Design online

Re:

cce":3ft3jw81 said:
Blimey, that's a bit tasty

Thanks, really starting to feel better about repainting the frame the more i see it and start to build it back into a bike.

Instead of replacing the black tape protection on the chain stay, i have wrapped the stay in 3M paint protection film, the clear film used to protect car bodywork. It will hopefully offer the same protection while showing off more of the paint work :D

Re:

cchris2lou":3n4owcuq said:
yes very nice .

Cheers :D

stevevw":3n4owcuq said:
How did you go about polishing the lugs? would be interested to know as yours look great.

Thanks, they're not bad from a distance :D If i'm being honest, they still need a proper polish with compound & mops, but i was too eager to start building up the frame and didn't want to risk any damage to the paintwork. They have just had a lot of elbow grease and Mothers alloy & mag polish. It certainly shines up the alloy well and will help with any minor scratches, but again, to be perfect they need buffed which would take a lot of time & care with a drill, a dremmel, and various shapes & sizes of mops.

Re:

Nothing ever runs smoothly does it? :D The build has been delayed by those simple little Shimano gear lever boss rings. I'm sure that fellow RetroBikers can agree with my latest bump in the road. I am certain that i have a set of the flat boss adaptors needed for alloy & carbon frames. My levers used the sculpted ones on my previous build, but i was sure i could turn up the flat ones in the spares box no problem..........guess what?....i couldn't find them anywhere! :roll: I managed to track down a set after an internet search (not as easy as i thought, plenty of information on the parts, but finding local stockists wasn't so straightforward.)

so we're back building again, hopefully all runs smoothly and i finally get it finished.........

Re:

Finally getting there :D i've fussed over a lot of the details and been a bit OCD with cleaning up and refreshing my old components...............been years since i last stuck some tubs on, they're only Rallys, but they are new and will get me rolling for now

Back