1988 Peugeot Dakar XT Pro

Re: Re:

elPedro666":2abkc1e4 said:
With the yellow rims a soft grey could look really cool. Great to see it going back into use!

Like the first colour in my last post or something lighter? I was thinking I might not be taken with it when I get it back, but it could be a base for something different, maybe done with decals.

I suppose clear coated would be an alternative for a darker grey.

Well, I had an idea that I could recreate the original colour scheme, but using silver instead of white. The concern was that I was beginning to go way over what I should spend on a finish that won't be treated with the care I would give it. Having spoken to the powdercoaters today, I think I can rule out doing anything with a fade - they can do it, but they're not really keen to because they say it is hard to get a good finish like you can with wet paint, with the fade tending to be more abrupt than you see on a good wet paint job.

I'm now considering a darkish red. In theory, just something simple like RAL 3003:

ral-3003.gif

Although they could metallicise it ...... maybe with a matte or stain top coat with an aim of something like this:

multi-layered-powder-coating-on-this-matte-finished-subaru-wheel-thumbnail.jpg

it's getting more expensive again.

Re: Re:

kingoffootball":1eg2f48z said:
elPedro666":1eg2f48z said:
With the yellow rims a soft grey could look really cool. Great to see it going back into use!

Like the first colour in my last post or something lighter? I was thinking I might not be taken with it when I get it back, but it could be a base for something different, maybe done with decals.

I suppose clear coated would be an alternative for a darker grey.

About that yes, although with the accumulated vagaries of phone screens and the like it's difficult to know if we're looking at quite the same things! Not sure what colour would add a touch of warmth to the grey, red perhaps, but only the tiniest fraction of a percentage...

Get a plain white powdercoat and rattle-can the red and blue fades onto the frame over the top. Then accent it with yellow cables/bottlecage etc. to tie the wheels in. Fairly small stuff, but it'll come together... That way you could remove all the yellow bits at some future point and have the classic colours, should you end up with the bike back and wanting to do a full restore. Maybe yellow decals with a black outline? (but that then be less original and counteract my previous point).

Love that dark red on the wheels in your pic, but not sure on the bike

That looks really good in the red and will look nice decaled up.
Are you going to full decal it?

Jamie

I've not really decided about decals. It might be an excess expense for a single speed commuter for my nephew.

Maybe I will just try to find the Peugeot lion for the front and name down the downtube.

Back