1988 Muddy Fox Aluminium - build thread

It's finally finished and been on its maiden voyage.

Here are a couple of pix, will take some more close ups but had to pick my step daughter up from school.

mmm Dia-compe. Shame the pearl effect paint doesnt show on the camera :(
FD92C955-0292-47DB-9373-9F3B1EBE24C9_zpsuajl7tfz.jpg

6BFC0544-104B-4967-802F-BF50803B6120_zpshhisdwgj.jpg

A0935658-8523-4B8A-8A8E-F677F93A8A76_zpsndfycu2f.jpg

2927E5A8-6AF5-473F-AEAD-3C8618490765_zpshtobojhm.jpg

and a reminder of how she started:
null_zpsef9dbd2d.jpg

I'm very pleased with the outcome and its a great bike to ride. She will be getting a fair bit of use :)

That looks really smart. Nicely chunky in that small size too. Are you going to look to replace the XT brakes with Dia-compe originals or just leave it as it is (the XT 730 stuff does work well)?

Carl.

Carl the brakes are the original Shimano BR MT61s that came on it. Everything is as original (or so it seems) apart from the tyres.

Jim

jimwise68":1j4cjobg said:
Carl the brakes are the original Shimano BR MT61s that came on it. Everything is as original (or so it seems) apart from the tyres.

Jim

Check you catalog dude, it says it should be dia compe 96x cantis on the front and an AD-900 U brake on the rear, someone has done a bit of an upgrade I think ;)

Carl.

Carl TBH im not to sure on the specs that the catalogues give LOL, I mean it was supposed to be black and called Laser initially. haha

Are the Shimano brakes an upgrade over the Dia Compes? I'm not up on the specs of these brake components so dont know if the Shimano are better than the Dia Compe. I was sure if they were originally on it and just a case of whatever components where to hand when they built it up.

Any info would be useful and if that is the case then I will definitely change them :)

jimwise68":rvzd0fmm said:
Carl TBH im not to sure on the specs that the catalogues give LOL, I mean it was supposed to be black and called Laser initially. haha

Are the Shimano brakes an upgrade over the Dia Compes? I'm not up on the specs of these brake components so dont know if the Shimano are better than the Dia Compe. I was sure if they were originally on it and just a case of whatever components where to hand when they built it up.

Any info would be useful and if that is the case then I will definitely change them :)

I think MT-61 was the 1989 model year Deore II (with MT-60 being the 1988 Deore I group), Muddyfox didn't start fitting Shimano until 1989, they were a Suntour 'house' until then. MT-61 would have been an upgrade over the dia-compes as the parts on the Aluminium were quite low really (it was all about the frame) MT-61 was equivalent to Suntour XC7000 really, quite a jump from the XCD4050, which sat 1 below XCD6000 in the range. Here's the lineups: http://www.mombat.org/Suntour.htm. I only mentioned it because I can see how you like to have you builds spot on cat correct.

Carl.

:D :D :D :D
holy crap you are my hero. Such a nice job on a rare old fox.
Anyone ever see an actual laser model or did they not make it to shop floors?

jimwise68":17gzdq0m said:
Thanks Carl :)
I have a set of the dia compes so will swap them over.

Appreciate your input and knowledge.
:)

That's lucky then :), wonder if they will be better, worse or indifferent to the Deore kit (which I always found to be quite decent).

Carl.

Back