1988 Merlin Titanium

Ferry

Retro Guru
So I made a difficult decision to sell the Yeti Ultimate frame. I really wanted to have a finished retro bike to ride this year and the Yeti has a cracked frame. In addition, the Yeti was too small for me aswell.

In February I saw the Mombat sale on Ebay and this Merlin caught my attention. I remember going over and over the 1990 catalogue (when I couldn’t afford to own one). I made an offer and two weeks later it was on it’s way from the US to the Netherlands. Shipping was kind of a pain (costly) but when I received the bike I forgot all about that.

It’s a 1989 Merlin Titanium. The specs of the bike as I bought it:

p4pb17493736.jpg

p5pb17493747.jpg

I really liked the Rock Shox RS-1. However, the need a service badly as they do not hold air. It has proven hard to find a replacement RS-1 in working order so I focused on finding a suitable rigid fork. I started looking for a Kona P2 or Track Two, Bontrager Comp, Koski or IRD.

Then things started to get a little out of control. Four months later and I have made the first ride yesterday. It’s a great ride, I need some new tires (preferably Panaracer Timbuk II) but I might settle for some repro Dart and Smoke tires.

Some pictures I took on it’s maiden voyage:

p5pb17493775.jpg

p5pb17493779.jpg

p5pb17493784.jpg

p5pb17493788.jpg

p5pb17493790.jpg

I also changed the cranks to a (NOS) pair of black FC-M730 cranks.

p5pb17493796.jpg

Things I need to do now are to find a replacement decal for the Merlin handlebars, I have a VGC FD M730 clamp on derailleur. However, I am waiting on the right size band to install it. Last, I also have decals for the frame (from Second Spin) but I think I like the patina on these so will not replace those.

I hope you like it. I know I enjoyed building it. Looking forward to put some miles on this!

Re: 1989 Merlin Titanium

About as good as a Ti bike gets :)

Lovely build and should last better than an old Yeti.

That's an amazing bike; well done, man!
Very brave to get this from the US with all the import duties: shows you really want it..

Enjoy :cool:, if I were you I'd probably be standing next to, and looking at, it more than actually riding it :D..!

Minifreak":r3lu3g1d said:
About as good as a Ti bike gets :)

Lovely build and should last better than an old Yeti.

Thanks Tim! I hope it last, at least there's no worries about rust.

Double-E F":r3lu3g1d said:
That's an amazing bike; well done, man!
Very brave to get this from the US with all the import duties: shows you really want it..

Enjoy :cool:, if I were you I'd probably be standing next to, and looking at, it more than actually riding it :D..!

Hoi Eef, I have spent a lot of time just looking at it :oops: . I cannot convince my wife to keep it in the house :facepalm:

Perfect build and most importanmt: perfect size/ fit. I would lift that hbar an in and ride it like i am a 10yr old.

Re:

These are such beautiful frames, looks superb. Good for you for making that difficult decision, I bet you're not regretting it! :cool:

Re: Re:

MR OX":2l694h09 said:
These are such beautiful frames, looks superb. Good for you for making that difficult decision, I bet you're not regretting it! :cool:

No regrets indeed, although it was a though decision as the Ultimate's do not come up for sale often.

I have also tried to fill out the specification form:

Frame: 1989 Merlin Titanium

Fork: Bontrager Comp

Headset: Shimano Deore XT M730
Stem: Salsa 1”
Handlebar: Merlin Titanium
Grips: ODI mushroom

Brakes: Shimano XT BR-M732 black
Brake Pads: Koolstop
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR
Cantilever cable hangers: Suntour
Brake Levers: Shimano XT BL-M733

Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M732
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M735 soon to be replaced by Shimano XT FD-M732
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M732
Derailleur Cables: unknown
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide
Chain: Sachs Sedis
Cranks: Shimano FC-M730 black
Chainrings: Shimano Biopace HP
Pedals: Shimano XT

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic M261
Hubs: Shimano XT FH-M732 and HB-M730F in black
Tyres: Panaracer Dart 2.2 and Smoke 2.1

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost Binder: Suntour

I would think that serial #371 makes this a 1988 bike.

Great looking build!

Back