Help id 1994-1998 Merlin Extralight

PJB

Retro Newbie
I'd like to find out when this titanium merlin was made. Any help appreciated!
There is a number on the rear drop out: 13881.

IMG_4943.JPG

End 90s serial number. Confirmed an underlined by the metal badge on the steerer tube (no waterslide decal).

However, are you really sure its an Extralight? I cant really see the different tube thicknesses on the seat binder AND your serial number does not have the XL

Wait minute ...i THINK my Extralight (very same era) does not have the XL in the serial as well.

Can you post another picture of the seat binder area? On the extralights, you can clearly see the wall thicknesse.

In general, the XL has some thicker tubes as the normal Titanium.

Cheers

End 90s serial number. Confirmed an underlined by the metal badge on the steerer tube (no waterslide decal).

However, are you really sure its an Extralight? I cant really see the different tube thicknesses on the seat binder AND your serial number does not have the XL

Wait minute ...i THINK my Extralight (very same era) does not have the XL in the serial as well.

Can you post another picture of the seat binder area? On the extralights, you can clearly see the wall thicknesse.

In general, the XL has some thicker tubes as the normal Titanium.

Cheers
Thank you. Here is another picture of the seat area.

Attachments

• Merlin seat area.jpg
    Merlin seat area.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 3
Sorry but that pic is pretty much useless :) I gotta see the upper part of the seat tube completely. Its (got to be) 2 different diameters

Sorry but that pic is pretty much useless :) I gotta see the upper part of the seat tube completely. Its (got to be) 2 different diameters
Thanks for your help. :) Is this better? If not, not please post a sample picture or describe the area you need a picture of. Do you want me to remove the seat and take a picture of the top of the seat tube from above so you can see the interior?

Attachments

• Merlin seat area 2.jpg
    Merlin seat area 2.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Merlin seat tube.jpg
    Merlin seat tube.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi,

The serial number you've quoted puts its production in the middle of 1997 according to the Merlin serial number list on mombat, which fits with the head badge type as mentioned above.

The 1997 catalogue in the archive here shows that years bikes having separate seat post clamps rather than the braze-on example pictured on yours. This appears to be a feature of earlier frames seen in the 1994 catalogue and before?.

Might be worth asking Merlin a question if you're interested?, as suggested above.

Matt

Your thread title still says "Extralight".

To me the diameter of your top tube and seat tube and the missing 2-part clamping area (plus the actual seperate clamp - which was typical for that build period) indicate to me that your bike isnt an Extralight at all. It is a normal MERLIN "Titanium" of that year.

It is highly likely that someone simply put an Extralight decal on it along the way.

I have "old" original Merlin letters (of order deliveries) in my collection. While the "original decals" cost a hilariously insane and brain damaged $100 USD nowadays from MERLIN, they used to be $5 each back in the day!

Check out this pic for example. Its a bulletproof indicator for an Extralight. Do you see the smaller diameter of the tube where the seat post actually enters the seat tube?

Picture shows a prior build-year without extra clamp.

Cheers

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-04 um 01.02.53.png

Back