1988 Marin Palisades Trail

Back from the Powdercoaters and freshly decalled (Gil -who else!)

Nice Christmas present. Had the forks, stem and bar done also... Acid bath, shot blast and coating was £50 for all four items. Turned it round in six hours as well!

ringo":z8urp4n0 said:
Back from the Powdercoaters and freshly decalled (Gil -who else!)

Nice Christmas present. Had the forks, stem and bar done also... Acid bath, shot blast and coating was £50 for all four items. Turned it round in six hours as well!

Good work, like that. Will you be sticking to the Exage Mountain they came with?

Will have to Martin - funds (as ever an issue!). Would like to leave it original though, hopefully I can clean up the groupset to a point where it looks passable on a shiny new frame...

I did find an Exage mountain Ubrake in the garage... it's nicer than the one that came off the bike as it is alloy (rather than plastic coated...)

As an authority on early Marins - do you think those earlier frames are well butted? Mine seems to have the ting of a higher quality frameset...

ringo":3fja1v1k said:
Will have to Martin - funds (as ever an issue!). Would like to leave it original though, hopefully I can clean up the groupset to a point where it looks passable on a shiny new frame...

I did find an Exage mountain Ubrake in the garage... it's nicer than the one that came off the bike as it is alloy (rather than plastic coated...)

As an authority on early Marins - do you think those earlier frames are well butted? Mine seems to have the ting of a higher quality frameset...

I don't know for sure, as there is very little written information on 87/88 Marins, but they do sound good, and Marins have always put frame quality high on the specification, you only have to look at the dropouts they used on the later steel frames compared to say a Kona of the same period.

I am currently trying to remove a seatpost from a Bear Valley like yours, just need to get a bronze coloured Exage Mountain front hub to complete.

HarryCrumb":3e60omrr said:
just need to get a bronze coloured Exage Mountain front hub to complete.

I've probably got one knocking about you can have ....let me have a look for you. (Think its an M450 you are after)

Got any further with your Pine Mountain ?

Antstark":346u3def said:
HarryCrumb":346u3def said:
just need to get a bronze coloured Exage Mountain front hub to complete.

I've probably got one knocking about you can have ....let me have a look for you. (Think its an M450 you are after)

Got any further with your Pine Mountain ?

Thanks that would be great if you have one.

One Pine Mountain is still a gradual collection of a better standard of kit, and the smaller one had been built up with XT m730 6 speed, as I didn't want two identical bikes.

I'll update the other thread with a couple of pics

Gonna be watching this thread again chaps, that Bear Valley powder coated black is the same model year as my one (pic posted back on page 2 I think), great bikes to ride. Good luck with the build.

Just scouting round for decals and ideas for a possible project. Would an 88 Team Marin in 88 Palisades Trail livery be too weird? With team marin decals in yellow.

There is no such thing as an 88 Team mate. What you'll have will be an 89. The Pine Mountain was top of the range (except the team Ti) in 88 and it was lugged prestige.

The History Man":2zf02wzb said:
Just scouting round for decals and ideas for a possible project. Would an 88 Team Marin in 88 Palisades Trail livery be too weird? With team marin decals in yellow.

Re:

I should probably create a new thread, but this seems relevant here too, so I'll go with it until told otherwise!

I've been going backwards and forwards with the Marin team, trying to identify the year of manufacture for my Palisades. I was pretty sure it was an '87, but it doesn't seem to match their records. Unfortunately, Marin's records are not entirely complete either, and they themselves appear to be missing some catalogues from the very late 80's, so even they are having difficulty helping me to nail down the year. I'm therefore wondering whether some of you knowledgeable (and eagle-eyed) folk might be able to help me pin-point the year? I've owned this bike from brand new through until now, and with the exception of the rear rim, it is otherwise in original condition (oh, the bottle cage and shark fin were not OE, but they were purchased with the bike!)... I'd appreciate any/all help, please and thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 434
Back