1988 Marin Palisades Trail

Re: Re:

That's an 1989 mate :D :cool: Nice bike

wldor":1u8ai5wu said:
I should probably create a new thread, but this seems relevant here too, so I'll go with it until told otherwise!

I've been going backwards and forwards with the Marin team, trying to identify the year of manufacture for my Palisades. I was pretty sure it was an '87, but it doesn't seem to match their records. Unfortunately, Marin's records are not entirely complete either, and they themselves appear to be missing some catalogues from the very late 80's, so even they are having difficulty helping me to nail down the year. I'm therefore wondering whether some of you knowledgeable (and eagle-eyed) folk might be able to help me pin-point the year? I've owned this bike from brand new through until now, and with the exception of the rear rim, it is otherwise in original condition (oh, the bottle cage and shark fin were not OE, but they were purchased with the bike!)... I'd appreciate any/all help, please and thanks!

Re:

That was quick! Thanks very much.

Please don't think I'm being a jackass, but can I ask how you know that, and whether there is anyway to validate that date? (I'd love to confirm back to the guys at Marin with some kind of supporting evidence, if at all possible - they've been great to work with!)

Cheers!

Other than looking at the 89 catalogue you mean :D

viewtopic.php?t=233325

Ok the 88 models had U brakes at the rear not cantis so its not an 88 (but the 87s did) , the decals where much simpler on the 87/88 models but moved to the design on yours in 89 and carried forward to 90 i think

The 90 palisades had moved to the new zolatone grey paintwork with fluro forks, that solid blue was on the 88 and 89 but in 88 they had a black fork.

The shimano groupset points to an 89 model. If you want to check the serial number there is a thread on here that will tell you what sense to make from the numbers - year , model , factory where built etc viewtopic.php?t=37430

oh and cos I've sold a couple on here :D

wldor":1v87k24i said:
That was quick! Thanks very much.

Please don't think I'm being a jackass, but can I ask how you know that, and whether there is anyway to validate that date? (I'd love to confirm back to the guys at Marin with some kind of supporting evidence, if at all possible - they've been great to work with!)

Cheers!

Antstark":3g8l61yr said:
Other than looking at the 89 catalogue you mean :D

viewtopic.php?t=233325

Ok the 88 models had U brakes at the rear not cantis so its not an 88 (but the 87s did) , the decals where much simpler on the 87/88 models but moved to the design on yours in 89 and carried forward to 90 i think

The 90 palisades had moved to the new zolatone grey paintwork with fluro forks, that solid blue was on the 88 and 89 but in 88 they had a black fork.

The shimano groupset points to an 89 model. If you want to check the serial number there is a thread on here that will tell you what sense to make from the numbers - year , model , factory where built etc viewtopic.php?t=37430

oh and cos I've sold a couple on here :D

Thanks again, sir. I bow to your superior powers of deduction!

I'd love to check the serial number, but my SN doesn't seem to follow the same format as many others, and besides, even the guys at Marin were left scratching their heads on that front too!

The SN on my bike is as follows:

M903 51283

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 652

Antstark":2kmlevu2 said:
It's not superior knowledge..it's hanging around on this forum far too long :D

Lol! That appears somewhat evident from the warehouse rivalling inventory listed in your signature... ! ;)

One question - the '89 model in the catalogue has both black rims and a black crankset... mine were plain ol' polished aluminium. Does that make any difference?

Sorry to harp on, but it's your own fault for replying in the first place!

Exact specs were largely driven by availability from suppliers......if they only had silver bits then that's what ya got. Not uncommon for specs to change over a specific production run either.

Does your bike have Shimano Mountain LX thumbshifters and mechs ? ...that groupset was only available in 1989

wldor":2rscxxzf said:
Antstark":2rscxxzf said:
It's not superior knowledge..it's hanging around on this forum far too long :D

Lol! That appears somewhat evident from the warehouse rivalling inventory listed in your signature... ! ;)

One question - the '89 model in the catalogue has both black rims and a black crankset... mine were plain ol' polished aluminium. Does that make any difference?

Sorry to harp on, but it's your own fault for replying in the first place!

Re:

Yes - it sure does have the LX thumb shifters.

I don't know how (or why!) you know all this stuff, but I'm grateful that you do! If ever I happen to find myself in a retro cycling pub quiz, I'll be sure to have you on speed dial! ;)

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Re:

Its all part of the service :D Believe me ....i know a bit, but there are some real hardcore retro nerds on here that will and can (often without prompt) answer your most obscure question. Enjoy your bike mate!

Back