1999 Marin Palisades Trail Overhaul

legrandefromage":1k17bx0e said:
Undo the main bb cartridge, tighten that cup until flush with frame, then put the main bb bit back in and tighten until super tight. Bolting the tool to the BB often helps but dont go too mad, the threads can strip. The main body of the BB will sit inside the cup and compress it a bit so it doesnt have the chance to move about.

BB's in alu frames often creak a bit after a few weeks riding so expect to get back in there with tools to re-tighten.

Some advise copperslip, others grease, I use a light oil.

That helped. Now there's a tiny gap on the drive side, I'd say less than 1mm, but the cup on the left is flush, so overall - much better!

I used anti-seize paste which certainly added some resistance.

I stayed late last night putting the bike together and I'll post pictures soon, but somehow I'm not too happy with the overall outcome. I've changed every component on the bike except the frame (of course), the crank, the handlebar stem and the seatpost.

The bike weighted ~30lbs as in the original pictures. Now it's about 27.5 and I haven't put the chain yet. Again, not too happy...

Shaving weight is always hard.

Did you know that there is a section just for post '97 bikes? :)

mkone":2b74enw1 said:
Shaving weight is always hard.

Did you know that there is a section just for post '97 bikes? :)

Yeah, I realized that a bit late in the game. Maybe the mods can move this thread there?

Another small road block:

Sizing the new chain, I needed to remove 4 links, but I have great difficulty extracting/pushing the pin out. My chain is Shimano 9s CN-HG53 and I use a Chain Breaker tool. I've used it before on other chains and never had any problems. This one wont budge.

Here's a picture of the tool I'm using:

sku_204606_3.jpg

Re:

Here's the first picture... still work in progress. Basically I'm not happy with the weight so I'm still working on replacing a part or two. I did swap though the chain rings and saved me about 90 grams.

pMPcWSU.jpg

hamster":3jmz88d1 said:
Those Conti Town & Country are awfully heavy IIRC. You can probably lose half a kg just by swapping them out.

They are Serfas and you're right, they are like 850g each, horrible!

Them and the fork are the last bit I can swap and hopefully lose another 1.5-2 lbs.

Latest posts

Back