1988 Kona Explosif

Superb, the first ever Explosif beautifully preserved. The moment I saw that bike for sale, I thought that's a bike for Hilts.

The paint job is just right, cool and elegant, but still with enough drama for a bike called Explosif!

Took some better photos in the sun today.....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

doctor-bond":e3vlkwdx said:
One of the few problems I have with late 80's bikes is that the paint jobs can be hard to live with - but this is spot on.

The 88/89 spatter Konas are some of the coolest paint jobs ever in my humble opinion, especially the pistachio and yellow spatter Explosif.
The paint (Dupont Imron I believe, but I'm almost certainly wrong..) holds up well over time too. I own one of these '88 Explosifs and I've used it hard for the last 20 years - the paintwork still looks amazingly good considering.

It has even seen life as a singlespeed ( Oh no :shock:) but will probably be 1x7 soon. The thing is - I think that nice frames (like this) deserve to be built up in a way that lets them get used and enjoyed the most, which is why I'm no retro purist and never have any "garage queens" either.

Would love one of these....they are so beautiful!! Happy with my 88' Cindercone, but it's not the Explosif is it......

The paint was listed as "Most Dupont Imron" if i remember... :)

Back