~1988 "Jett"

Lovely looking bike. I was watching a lovely Scott Jett fillet brazed stem on eBay for months and months. Of course once it had sold I regretted not buying it :rolleyes:

Haven't ridden it yet, I think the tire that's on the rear currently is too big and I'd be worried about chewing up the chainstays. Thinking about ordering some Terra Ones for it! I'll post a report once I've taken it on one of the local trails!
Those Terra Ones are quite wide from reading some reviews. Too wide for many retro frames so I’d double/triple check as they ain’t that cheap either. However they do look like lovely tyres if they fit.

Those Terra Ones are quite wide from reading some reviews. Too wide for many retro frames so I’d double/triple check as they ain’t that cheap either. However they do look like lovely tyres if they fit.
Ah, good to know. Are there agreed upon alternatives?

Ah, good to know. Are there agreed upon alternatives?
Well there's the usual Panaracer Smoke/Darts that are still produced, but these are too new for your 88 build IMO, but you may not care and just want a skin/tan wall

On the Terra One site there's this info:

Specifications:​

• Size: 26 x 2.125
  • ETRTO 54-559
  • Measured Width: 57.5mm, at max pressure, on a 25mm rim (inner width)
  • Bead: Folding
  • Tread Color: Black
  • Tread Rubber: Dual compound (56 Shore A center with 48 Shore A sides)
  • Sidewall Color: Beige
  • Casing: 120TPI
  • Production Weight: 750g +/- 50g
  • Inflation Pressure: 22 - 50 PSI / 1.6 – 3.5 bar
  • Tire Type: Tubed (not designed or recommended for Tubeless use)
I'd check the clearance on your stays, either with vernier calipers, or get a piece of card/block of wood or anything cut to a width of 58mm and check out what clearance you have. Fingers crossed you do!

There is also this thread:

Looks like inside chainstay width is measuring out at an even 60mm... Terra Ones might be fine in dry weather (I was being overly optimistic 😅).

Anyone know what the Fairweather XC CG 26" measures out to?

The tire currently mounted on the rear is a 2.3" Nokian Freddie's Revenz for snow use, but there's no evidence it was actually ever used in the frame (thank goodness).

Last edited:
Looks like inside chainstay width is measuring out at an even 60mm... Terra Ones might be fine in dry weather. Anyone know what the Fairweather XC CG 26" measures out to?

The tire currently mounted on the rear is a 2.3" Nokian Freddie's Revenz for snow use, but there's no evidence it was actually ever used in the frame (thank goodness).
So 1.25mm clearance either side of tyre?!* That's hipster fixed/track bike clearance! WAY too tight, especially as the tyre/rim won't run 100% true. Those Rene Herse ones are (quoted from their website):
  • Actual width on 20 mm rim (internal): approx. 52 mm
  • Actual width on 23 mm rim (internal): approx. 53 mm
So 4mm to 3.5mm either side which is better. You just need to double your tyre budget!!! :oops:

Finally found some old Specialized Hardpack tires in good condition to get this thing rolling. At 26 x 1.5 they're smaller than I would like but they at least have some proper old school looking tread. Swapped the handlebar, seatpost and grips, and gave it a light cleaning. Haven't bothered with bearing re-grease yet and I still need to replace the chewed up Avocet. But it looks pretty good and rides well on the street!

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_192044845-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230617_192044845-01.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230617_192152834-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230617_192152834-01.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230617_192210015-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230617_192210015-01.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Back