1988 (I think) Overbury's Pioneer frame and forks

Rich34

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this frame and forks in 1990 from a bloke in Bristol (not surprisingly). He told me it was made from Columbus OR - I believe Overbury's did use this so he's probably right. I built it up back then and rode it around for ages, then stripped it to use the parts to build my Orange Clockwork, and this languished at my Dads place for the next 20 or so years, until a year or so ago when I had him send me it (I live in Southern France) so I could build it up for my wife. The plan was going really well until I opened the box and she told me she didn't like the colour...

I thought I'd clean it up anyway and fancied a 'stealth' look so I ordered black decals from Gil_M to replace the tatty orignal yellow ones, and also bought a black Direct Drive fork to replace the original, which I wanted to keep separate, since I wasn't planning on touring. I don't have time to do this though and since I have other bikes I prefer I've decided to offer it up to a good home.

I hope the photos below are clear enough - there is surface rust on parts of the paint, though nothing structural that I can see. The 105 headset it had when I bought it is still on it (it's been cleaned and regreased...), with the DD forks, which are also attached. I don't have the right tools to take them off so I'm selling it as it is, but with the original forks of course. I'm also including an XT U-brake which is fixed to it and needs a clean-up, the Gil_M decals, and also some Columbus OR decals I bought from eBay but haven't put on. The sticker at the top of the seat tube is Rough Stuff Fellowship and was on there when I got it from the original owner.

These frames had a high bottom bracket - I don't remember how high but while the frame measures up as something like a 16" with the height of the BB shell, it fits me very well with my 30" inside leg, and the top tube height is probably more like that of an 18" bike with a lower BB shell. I'm 1m73cm in case that's of use.

It's a lovely frame and I wish I could justify keeping it - the fillet brazing is gorgeous and I never saw anyone else riding one of these back in the day. I'm asking 150 GBP for it. I'll pack it properly and will ship it with DHL - don't know how much it will cost so I'm asking 25 GBP from the seller and I'll stump the rest. So a total of 175 GBP, PayPal please. If anyone wants more info or has questions, PM me.

The photos:

Re:

Wow. I'm 5.11 so think this is too small for me? What do you think? Would defo take it if it was a bit bigger!

Re:

Can you measure the seat tube centre-centre and top tube centre-centre for me please?

Re:

Great project for someone. If I'd not just built an '85 Ritchey for my missus I'd be all over this.

GLWS

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":1us3iwqa said:
Wow. I'm 5.11 so think this is too small for me? What do you think? Would defo take it if it was a bit bigger!

Almost certainly too small I'm afraid. I used to ride it with most of a long XT seatpost showing...

Vinevo":1yx0tmpw said:
Lovely base of a project and a fair price I reckon! :D

Cheers Ash - I think so too. I feel a bit sick to be selling it to be honest as i've had it so long, but needs must and I need to prioritise. I'll probably never build this up and it's a shame to see it hanging in the garage doing nothing...

paddy311":ayufe0el said:
Great project for someone. If I'd not just built an '85 Ritchey for my missus I'd be all over this.

GLWS

Sounds like you've got your project the right way round - getting approval from the missus before starting the build... :roll:

Back