1988 Brodie Climbmax - Splatter paint goodness :)

Re:

Jamis Diablo":wzufcrp2 said:
Wow what a beauty! And great parts choice.

Thanks! Not a standard group for sure. Hopefully those front and rear brakes perform. This isn't meant to be a garage queen.

Those are Scott Reissues - nice to see another consumable retro part we can buy new :)

Still left: I need some silver 4mm ferrules to finish cabling it and they're in the mail. I found a black first gen ringle hub so I need to get the wheelset built up.

All the goodies are here for the wheels.

Everything is NOS but the front hub and skewers. I decided this was the most reliable option for a rider and the 732 drivetrain.

Re:

This has been done for about a couple weeks. Turned out very well. It was suppose to be out for a test ride Sunday but we got another blast of snow to ruin that plan.

Whole bike is original and every part has a bit of patina to match the frame with the exception of NOS rims, rear hub, and freewheel.

More pics when I get it out ...

Frame: 1988 Brodie Climbmax

Fork: P2

Headset: XT730
Stem: 1st Gen Syncros
Handlebar: Syncros
Grips: ODI

Brakes: Marinovative Titaniun Front/Pederson SE U rear
Brake Pads: Scott Mathuaser
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: XT733

Shifters: XT732
Front Derailleur: XT732
Rear Derailleur: XT732
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: NOS Sachs Freewheel
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Cooks
Crank Bolts: Titanium
Chainrings: Sugino
Chainring bolts: Titanium
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN71
Pedals: XT732

Hub Skewers: Ringle
Rims: NOS Araya RM17
Hubs: Ringle (NOS rear)
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Original NOS smoke and dart
Tubes: MEC

Saddle: Avocet (stamped 198:cool:
Seatpost: Syncros 1st Gen

:shock: :shock: :shock: :cool:

Beautiful - great job!

Re:

Spring is finally here in Toronto.

Had the '88 Climbmax out for a real ride. Tight single track ... Nice and tore up from the winter.

Took it pretty easy at first. I road my 29er yesterday so riding this today was a real 180.

This is a very different feeling bike. It has a short top tube like your typical mid 80s mtbs and a long stem which stretches you out a bit like a early 90s mtb. Balance is a bit odd until you figure it out especially any movement in and out of the seat. After that adjustment, it's just getting used to the oversteer of the longer stem and you can start to ride it. Good fun.

- brakes are incredible ... Still breaking in the rims and pads so they are squealing when I wimp out and drag them a bit.
- climbs well.
- very nice drivetrain.
- I may swap the stem for a 140 with a bit of rise.

Got a flat 10k in so I will also report it pushes well. :?

Blizz":160se7dn said:
Nice Climbmax! Great choice of parts too. :cool:
The splatter paint is definitely cool.

Thanks ... I love the look of this one and it was fun to try out some unconventional components.

Back