1988 Brodie Climbmax - Splatter paint goodness :)

k-rod":x464f77t said:
wutts 'the Don'?

The Don Valley Trail in Toronto. There's a nice patch of green that follows the Don River. Certainly nothing like what you get out west but it's a good ride and in my backyard.

Ah, I see.

The way I see it, a ride in the sunshine and fesh air, is a ride in the sunshine and fesh air. Having some greenery along the way, is a boon. Of course, the stunning mountain and ocean views here on the west coast ... well, lets just say that we're blessed, over here!

I guess that's why a friggen building lot in the city is going for well over a mill, these days.

Fresh air!!? :LOL: The mighty Don River trail flows a path right next to the biggest North/South bit of 6-8 lane commuter highway in the city. But it is awesome that if you live in town you dont have to truck an hour plus out to ride at all. You can almost forget you're still in the city for the most part and IIRC the paved sections of the park system connected runs close to 40km then the trails branching off in addition.

j0nnyr0cket":3bsi7mqc said:
Fresh air!!? :LOL: The mighty Don River trail flows a path right next to the biggest North/South bit of 6-8 lane commuter highway in the city. But it is awesome that if you live in town you dont have to truck an hour plus out to ride at all. You can almost forget you're still in the city for the most part and IIRC the paved sections of the park system connected runs close to 40km then the trails branching off in addition.

Don't forget the raw sewage treatment plant ... delicious! Better than a bakery in the AM.

The area has improved a ton. The single track trail system has never been longer or better kept. As JR says there is a long paved path (re-dubbed the PAN-AM trail) that is great for touring around with the Ms. We all make fun of the cleanliness but even that has improved exponentially ... heck people are fishing in the Don again and catching anatomically correct fish!

Here's some options for wheels. I think black hubs really are the ticket on this bike.

Here's the mn72-ritchey set.

And some NOS Arayas I could use with some first gen ringles (need a black front if anyone has one)

It has the 130mm rear end so I could go he old xt730 route or toss a 130 axle in a set of black xt732s. Lots of options.

j0nnyr0cket":2cuor4hq said:
High flange hubs tick my box but a little early on the timeline, no?

Ya ... same thing on my mind. The MN-72 were around at the latest 86-87 with the new XT coming in 1987 sometime.

I guess its all what you consider "period correct". Different for everyone. My pretty strict rule was 5 years. 1 year back and 4 forward ... sorta like the life cycle of a bike you would own.

Those high flange hubs look awesome on the Brodie though.

My thinking is more along the lines of BITD I would have been more likely to upgrade components rather than worry about the model year. In the later 90's if I was running 739xt kit and could switch up to older xtr or aftermarket goodness that was 3-4 years old I would have done it then and would still do it now. That said I'm running those hubs in silver on my old Norco.

j0nnyr0cket":j09mw7km said:
My thinking is more along the lines of BITD I would have been more likely to upgrade components rather than worry about the model year. In the later 90's if I was running 739xt kit and could switch up to older xtr or aftermarket goodness that was 3-4 years old I would have done it then and would still do it now. That said I'm running those hubs in silver on my old Norco.

Sorta the same idea I have. I figure you got or built a bike. Components would be of that year or the previous. Own the thing for 4 years and changes to it would be made.

The mn72 was shimano's top of the line Deerhead Xt hub. Does look great. Built up most of the bike last night.

Back