1988/9 Kona Explosif

That's a lovely looking bike, alright. I very nearly bought one back in the day, and even took one on a test ride around town from Brixton Cycles, but it was the Shimano U-brake that put me off - they were terrible things in English conditions, they clogged up like buggery at the slightest amount of mud, so I went elsewhere. As I recall I waited a bit longer and bought a Fisher Paragon, which had cantis f&r and had mud clearance by the bucketload.

The Kona still looks cool tho :)

Re:

Really Nice that, I may have to come and see it in the flesh, will be back down that way begining of June.

My friend had one back in 1992, I took it from him to give it a full service/strip down, as it was in a sorry state. Well during the test ride after the re build I bumped into him and he asked if he could take it, so I had to scrounge a lift home from one of my mates. The sorry part of the story is that the bike was stolen from my friends house that night, never to be seen again.

Definitely on my list of bikes to own, I ended up with a 1990 Cindercone to ease the itch.

Re: Re:

HarryCrumb":1wy9v8jk said:
Really Nice that, I may have to come and see it in the flesh, will be back down that way begining of June.

My friend had one back in 1992, I took it from him to give it a full service/strip down, as it was in a sorry state. Well during the test ride after the re build I bumped into him and he asked if he could take it, so I had to scrounge a lift home from one of my mates. The sorry part of the story is that the bike was stolen from my friends house that night, never to be seen again.

Definitely on my list of bikes to own, I ended up with a 1990 Cindercone to ease the itch.

Any time mate. You can have a ride around the coast path on her :)

Re:

Photo from Iconoclassic, now sporting correct Deore pedals, Reaction tyres f&r and nos Prestige bar

That's a real beauty - top work Adrian :)

Re:

Another beauty, a massive collection of 4 or 5 we have on the site now, :D. I wonder what ever happened to my 21" one that was stolen 26 years ago :cry: and I wonder if we will ever see one in that size again? Come to think of it, I have never even seen another of the original seatpost it came with (that slightly champagne/pale gold colour ) for sale.

Back