1986 Record #188 aka C Record

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Cobalto brakes & those rear mechs can be £350 for both if in good condition. Not easy to find them cheaply. Donor bikes are the best method. I have contemplated trying to get this group (got 1984 cranks) but the prices have gone somewhat daft in the last two years. Is a lovely group for sure.

Re:

Plenty of brake sets on eBay for £150ish.

Les rear mechs.

For what its worth, I bought two Columbus SLX Daccordi's 2 years ago from separate sellers within a month of each other. I really had the bug ! Both were in little used condition and had Campag Record Corsa from stem to stern. One had Delta's and Sheriiff Star hubs and cost me £900 and the other Cobalto's and lacked pedals and saddle and went for £800. Both bikes brake levers are cabled aero and are 6 speed with Campag rims.
When valuing a bike I always break it down into two parts. How much for the frame and forks and then how much for the components. Add the two together and knock off a bit for a bulk purchase ! Components can always be upgraded and improved over time so I would put most attention into the desirability and condition of the frame and forks.

Re:

Those figures sound about right. I paid a little more for the bike but it is a rare frame.

Re:

I picked up a 1986 Rourke virtually unused with a full mint C-record groupset for just over a grand. It was first gen with 2nd gen deltas. The 1st gen aero rear mech is desirable.

I'd reckon on £500-700 for a full groupset in exc condition.

The £150 deltas on eBay tend to be Croce D'Aune rather than C-Record.

My 3 pivot deltas stop fine - much better than my 1980's super records. I thought the reason for releasing cobalt I brakes was because S1 Deltas had mild steel pivots which rusted.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The Cobalto brakes command good money for their rarity value. They were not available that long and whilst I haven't used them, I can't imagine them being better than the 70s Super Record calipers.

People make the mistake of setting the deltas too close to the rim - the pivots don't work so well unless there is space.

I'm unlikely to rely on them on a "balls out" alpine descent but for everyday uk use, they are more than good. They are regarded as a perfect case of form over function but they really are pretty

Back