1985 Specialized "TEAM" Stumpjumper - Let the build begin :)

Re: 1985 Specialized "TEAM" Stumpjumper??? Tony Beek? PICS UP!

1985 Catalog says only Team Pink, never seen an '86 catalog but except for this one http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-cl ... 94623.html, popular opinion is that it only came in Pink, you could do Pink with Black decals. People usually comment on after a post but usually don't do their own research, things like the fist Univega Alpina being the Pro are cited by Bicycle Hall of fame, Smithsonian reports. Simple sense makes you wonder and research about it. Who makes its first bike called the Pro model without having first a basic model, I always thought 1982 Univega Alpina was the UNO that made me search for months after I found a 1982 Catalog with the Sport model being the first. Sometimes the info is not on the catalog so you have to relate serail numbers to features. at sometime in 1984 and up to one time in 1986 all forks and stays are chromed under the paint, that is all M code starting frame I'm not sure about other factory builds. So yours was simply striped of its paint, also all dropouts were chrome made by Shimano and the soldering unlike in you bike was seamlessly and beautifully brass filled, which may point to those being possibly replaced together with the stays, but who knows, right? It takes time but make your own research about that nice piece of history you got there and don't powder coated if thinking on making it original someday, specially if choosing a different color. That's a special bike, in my opinion. Low numbers not complete sure about the serial, contact specialized and talk or right to Bryant Bainbridge, he might know. Three possibilities are: is sequential the yours is number 1245 of 1985 (unlikely); is number 245 of January (suggested by the 1 after the 85), or is 45 of December of 1985, if the last think how rare your frame is.

All the best and post some pics of the restoration.

Re: 1985 Specialized "TEAM" Stumpjumper??? Tony Beek? PICS UP!

Thanks again. I really appreciate the info :)

Re:

Here we go. I have started assembling parts. This is a really rare bike, but good ol'specialized packed it with very massed produced parts from their catalogue. Most of the parts are super cheap, less those Suntour Pedals!

I have a new stem en route.

These arrived today. NOS Specialized Road hubs. Still trying to decide if ill holdout for saturne/saturae HX22s or use newer nos rims for reliability.

Get ready for some Pink!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 381
Maybe we could shift this over to the readers rides forum ... pretty please oh all powerful moderators :)

Sadly ... the same. I've go every part but my frame guy is like molasses. Great gent and super talented but ya gotta wait (years).

jimi911":ctyikglq said:
Sadly ... the same. I've go every part but my frame guy is like molasses. Great gent and super talented but ya gotta wait (years).

Having the wrinkles smoothed and painted still?

When I was asking around for the Tommaselli levers locally I had a guy that lives 45 minutes from me offer a black Team, I think it's a 1986 to me for a decent price. All original minus the tires and it has the last part I need for my pink 85, the Tommaselli levers. I think im going to pick it up soon. Not that I need anymore lol.

Re:

Yeah ... still has wrinkles. An hour job :?

I have heard of the black teams ... I'm curious to see what it looks like and if there are any differences.

Back