1985 Specialized "TEAM" Stumpjumper - Let the build begin :)

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I have done all the usual MOMBAT searches and stuff. I get what they were and the difference between a Team and a standard '85 stumpy.

I have a line on one ... or at least I think I do.

But its not standard. No U Brake. It appears to be modified for canti rear brakes. The frame and fork have all the standard features less the U Brake:
- Narrow rear stays (1.9" max tire)
- Light, certainly not a standard '85 frame.
- Right fork
- No rear brake cable guide like the standard '85 stumpy.
- Serial Number with the right start: 85 _ _ _ _ with no letters. This is what seems to say "Team" for sure.

It isn't Pink and no U brake. The cable stops are different (I think).

If it is a Team, the mod has done been flawlessly ... I cannot tell. If it isn't a Team I don't know what it is.

Am I missing anything??

Its a decent $deal$ if its a Team and something I would like to have in my collection.

Re: 1985 Specialized "TEAM" Stumpjumper Qs

That serial number type was also used by some Stumpjumper Sport, In my opinion Sports make good bikes also, those also shared with the Team the stamped lightning on the seat stay which was also soldered to the side and not to the back of the seat tube as in the Stumpjumper. All three '85 models had the same fork and the wide chain stays and probably seat stays stopped in '84, hope this helps. These are some posts about an SC model (maybe from a bike shop?) that had those type of serial numbers and came with Shimano M700 grouppo as welll as black slingshot in sme late '84s it might be one of those, but no one knows about theme for certain. There's 85 catalogue online. Outside Prestige tubing and rear XC roller Cam, (which are not as good as the cantis) I don't think anything else permanent can be used to tell those bikes

Does it has top tube brake cable guides?

Good info.

All the sports I have found look like this with no spesh symbol on the stays and the "import style" serial number.

viewtopic.php?t=177737

I'm not sure about the cable guides on the one I am eyeing, I thing no. I am almost certain it had no arch for the brake guide and no mounting points for racks like the other '85 models.

It depends on the month, later months have them, here's one https://www.flickr.com/photos/44773980@N03/7617202120/. Mines an early 86 and has them, another thing is the single pair of water bottle bosses on the down tube, none on the seat tube on the Team. Otherwise it could be a modified Sport to appear as a Team. Serial number should be low as it was also made in low numbers, see MOMBAT's is number 9 of batch (or month) 7. If it is a bargain even for a Sport and have the money then you don't lose anything buying it, I guess. Post some pics!

I got mixed on the Sc story those were non Sport Stumpjumpers with serials 84 X 0XX format, from a different factory were they built the Allez or some other road bike. Theres at least 4 date formats for the mid 80s Sports since the company used different manufacturers not quite sure which.

The water bottle bosses difference is a great catch. I totally missed that ... should be the deciding factor.

Thanks for all the help.

Re:

Ok ... some pics. No turning back ... $$$ has been spent.

Apparently the frame was modified by Tony Beek in the early late 80s-early 90s. I don't know much about him other than the wee bit I could get off the web, but I have mentioned the name to a few local bike nerds and they say he was one of 'the guys' in the 80s-early 90s bike scene in Toronto.

I am still not 100% on if its a team or not, but it has a lot of the features as you can see. It also has a narrow rear hub spacing (126mm I think), and the clearance for the rear wheels in minimal (max 1.9"). Seems to also have the shorter stays.

If its a team, besides the brake mods, all the cables have been re-routed. Its some pretty nice work ... much less cluttered. Its in primer. Beek primed it and the owner never finished it. The fork was chromed. She's been sitting for about 20 years.

Re: 1985 Specialized "TEAM" Stumpjumper??? Tony Beek? PICS UP!

Very fancy! Cool fork crown!

Nice, I would say it is a Team. Is possible it came like that , November to January Runs of 1985 built but '86 model Stumpjumper came with rear cantilevers, then switched to rollercams after February. Is possible that yours being an '86 as well, probably number 45 of December 1985 was built like this. Another possibility is that it had some damage on the chain-stays and since cantilevers are better this provided an opportunity to make the modifications. Other tips to suggest Team: lugwork of the seat post is only lobed on the front, unlike '85 Stumpy [see red on the bay site], single bottle fitting. Chrome fork was standard on both Team and normally aspirated model, as it was vertical Shimano FSR chromed dropouts and stays.

There is a report on how much the frame should weight (around 4.8?) but probably 5.0 for the regular non Prestige tubing version, I'll post it if I find it. Nice find, enjoy it.

Did it only come in pink? Everyone I see online is and I haven't seen a chromed fork on them. I assumed it was chromed. Gotta admit ... Not 100% sold on the pink colour :)

Should make for a fun restore. I had a plan of doing a custom restoration, all vintage mtb, but nothing like what's in th catalogue. Debating now. I have a full deerhead group ... Lots of options. There are two tiny ripples in the top tube I want to get smoothed out. Other than that it seems pretty true.

Back