1982 Specialized Stumpjumper * finished * pics on p7!!

stumpjumper1990":9ezrtvj7 said:
We had a great time at the retro-race in Apeldoorn! Here are some pics of me and the Stumpy! Thanks Rio for the pics!
stumpyt.jpg

looking sharp!! :LOL:

stumpjumper1990,

Absolutely amazing job on your build, it's the best I've ever seen! The attention to detail and willingness to make it happen is top notch. The best bit were the race shots that Rio supplied... so nice to see that beauty in action, almost like some pages from a 30 year old magazine came to life!

I was so inspired as this thread moved along with your build, I half heartedly told myself that I'm going to get an early Stumpjumper. Well, last night I went and picked one up in Los Angeles. It's in good shape, mostly original (tires, seat, grips are wrong), and should make for a good start. I'm not going to the finest degree as you did with the restoration, I have a little one at home that eats up most of my bike money, but I'm certainly excited and can't wait to get started!

Thank you so much for doing such a wonderful job documenting this amazing build, it was great to follow your progress, and your NOS purchases were like following a treasure hunt. You definitely inspired me and I'm sure that you inspired others with your fabulous Stumpjumper!

Best regards,

-D-

Attachments

• 82Stumpjumper1sm.jpg
    82Stumpjumper1sm.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 903
  • 82Stumpjumper2sm.jpg
    82Stumpjumper2sm.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 903
Hi -D-,

Thanks for your kind words! It was a real journey to build this one, but I am very happy with the result!

You have found a very nice Stumpy! Not often you see these stumpy's with most of their original components! You got a good base for a restoration. It would be much easier for you to find some parts. I don't think these bikes were ever sold in The Netherlands, so all my parts had to come from the US.

Do you know the serialnumber of your bike?

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Bart

Hello Bart,

Thanks for the reply! I'm still surprised by the fact this Stumpjumper seemingly popped up close to home, for a fair price, and without a long search. My buddy is convinced that it was meant to be, he is actually enthused by my lucky find because he's tired of me talking about finding a 1981 or 1982 Stumpjumper. My serial number is T2F00XXX. If I understand all that I've read...
T = Toyo for the tig welding
2 = For the production year, 1982
F = For the month of production, June
and the rest is the run number for the month
Does that sound correct with what you know about early serial numbers?

I have to share this with you because I'm sure you'll (and other Stumpjumper fans) appreciate this rare opportunity. I did happen onto this 1981 in New York, the serial number is J0128, a fairly low number is that early batch of 500. The seller wants $700.00 but then you have to add the cost for international postage. Still, at that price, that's quite a bit less than the $1,300.00 for a minty 1982 on Ebay recently. Here is the link:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/3405486643.html

Thanks for any insight!

-D-

@neo_pop_71
great start for a build! if you finished it, come to the netherlands and we'll do a photo shoot with you and stumpjumper1990 ;)

Future vacation plans...

Rio":2v1hhuhz said:
@neo_pop_71
great start for a build! if you finished it, come to the netherlands and we'll do a photo shoot with you and stumpjumper1990 ;)

Ha- That would be awesome! I've never been and would love to go... should be an easy sell with my wife and anything bike related my little angel is always in full tilt! Speaking of pee-wee, I just put the finishing touches on her first 26" bike, it's a 1995 Barracuda. She is just too small (only 7 years old though), probably in a few months, by the time I finish the Stumpjumper she'll be tearing up the trails!

Attachments

• 1995A2Z1sm.jpg
    1995A2Z1sm.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 818
Back