1980s Centurion MTB

Finally got the frame painted up. Had a few hiccups when a spray can nozzle imploded and splattered the primer layer badly. So had to sand it back again and then sprayed it royal blue color followed by some metallic blue to lighten it and add abit of sparkle. Then finished off with a few layers of clear coat. Bit of a learning experience for my first paint job but happy with the end result. Still waiting for the rear derailleur from the US but have new 5 speed freewheel and foam grips to finish off the build

Attachments

• centurp2.jpg
    centurp2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 959
  • centurpainted.jpg
    centurpainted.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 959
Have been a bit sidetracked with this during the Christmas holidays and cleaning up the new old Atala road bike (see this in other part of forum) but finally the rear derailleur arrived in the post today from the US. It's a Suntour Alpine which has an identical main body to the AG model except it uses a standard size upper pulley wheel and the cage plate's different. Just waiting for a 5 speed chain from CRC and it should be finished. Will post new pics once it's finished.

Attachments

• alpinederail.jpg
    alpinederail.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 881
  • AG_aLPINE.jpg
    AG_aLPINE.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 881
What the heck I couldn't wait for the new chain this morning. Popped on the rear derailleur and a parts bin chain, a couple of turns on the derailleur screw adjustment limiters and finally the Centurion is finished. Took it for a ride through my local dirt track testing ground through singletrack, tree roots, rocky terrain and the odd steep downhill sections and it fared pretty well.
Other than the BB clearance ain't the best it was quite a comfortable ride with the slack headtube angle and the forks help dampen the bumps. Pretty pleased with it.

Attachments

• changer.jpg
    changer.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 871
  • centur_02.jpg
    centur_02.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 870
  • centur.jpg
    centur.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 870
  • cable_guides.jpg
    cable_guides.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 870
  • handlebars.jpg
    handlebars.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 869
  • centur_01.jpg
    centur_01.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 868
Nice project! If you want to sell the AG rear mech I may be interested. Its one of very few rear mechs that can cope with a 38 tooth rear!
Glad you stuck with the original colour, it looks great.

Nice job :cool: I thought you said it was going to take a while when you first posted it in November? That's lightning quick by my standards :LOL:

Thanks folks :D glad you appreciate the bike. Funny considering on my ride yesterday a couple teenage girls laughed at my bike on how old it looked as I rode by!! Usually you see lycra clad types on the latest flashy full suspension bikes on the trails here. Well you can't win everybody over. Well I over estimated the stripping and painting time (a good thing!!!) plus I had lots of idle time as currently only working casually a few days a week and really got into the project.
Sorry Andz I'll hang onto the AG derailleur for now plus the upper pulley wheel is pretty bald so won't work particularly well anyway.

Attachments

• rearderail.jpg
    rearderail.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 841
  • fronthanger.jpg
    fronthanger.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 842
  • cantilevers.jpg
    cantilevers.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 841
  • cranks.jpg
    cranks.jpg