1979 Raleigh Magnum

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
This was a machine I bought for a winter project, but its taken me a bit longer to bring to fruition than I'd planned. I was looking for a frame and forks only for a winter project to use some of my stock of parts in my workshop. I bought this one as my second only Raleigh in a long while. I looked at this and a Carlton Continental, this one was very good condition, the BB and steerer had been serviced and the paint work and decals were in great nick for its age, so I got the Raleigh. My late father liked Raleigh bikes and I bought this one to show him, once completed, sadly he died in early January and never saw it. As I said most of the parts were from the parts bin, apart from the chainset, cables, toe clips/straps and my only real indulgence on this build a NOS set of Bluemels All Rounders. The frame is 23.5", Truwel tubed, just my size and is running a 52/42 up front with a 32-tooth 6 speeder on the back. I've added a rack for commuting and touring work as well. Certainly worth restoring back and its turned out very well, rides well and is a bit different from my Carltons. Not one you see a lot now and the ones I have seen look pretty rough, nothing high tech or glamorous but it looks lovely in Bronze and Gold.

Magnum.JPG

P3042819.JPG

P3052823.JPG

Attachments

• P3042818.JPG
    P3042818.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P3042815.JPG
    P3042815.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 13
  • P3042813.JPG
    P3042813.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 16
  • P3042811.JPG
    P3042811.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P3042810.JPG
    P3042810.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P3042809.JPG
    P3042809.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 13
Handsome bicycle and very usable. I think originally these were equipped with Shimano Positron shifters, which were anything but. Your choice is far superior. @KermitGKona88 will know for sure.
Fantastic job, love that colour. Yes Positron would have been standard with stem mount shifters awful plastic things and used a full outer cable with a solid piano wire type cable with a special tab that bolted straight on to the mech. The gears and shifters you have used are far more elegant.

Fantastic job, love that colour. Yes Positron would have been standard with stem mount shifters awful plastic things and used a full outer cable with a solid piano wire type cable with a special tab that bolted straight on to the mech. The gears and shifters you have used are far more elegant.
I knew you would know :)

Back