1970? Claud Butler Electron Super Five

Re:

And mine does match the 1969 spec even better than '68 - mine does indeed have that "Continental saddle of advanced design" (a Mertens Coureur which combines a slightly squishy plastic shell with springs under in a Brooks like shape) rather than 1968's Brooks B5.

69ElectronS5p2.jpg

I'd put money on that being 54646

Why is it assumed that Holdsworth did not commence production of CB machines until 1959 ? Holdsworth had the trade marks by the summer of 1958 and they would have known of the potential sales that they could achieve with CB (and subsequent sales show this as they were relatively low priced - I have heard that sales in the early days were at a ratio of 7 : 1 against Holdsworth) I would be surprised if Holdsworth were not 'knocking' out CB frames as soon as they had the head badges and decals made. I spoke with Ken Phillips a while ago (now in his 90's - he was a lug cutter at Holdsworth at that time) and he told me that they were turning out CB frames at a prodigious rate before 1960) However, perhaps there is a record of the date of the first production ?

As far as I have been able to establish, the earliest Holdsworth CB frames did not carry a metal mead badge but a decal of a modified version of the CB 'shield' design on the head tube and down tube. This was replaced by the olympic ring metal head badge (before frame 2533) and the 'shield' design decal on the seat tube. The olympic ring seat tube decal came later.
This is based on a number of frames that I have seen in original livery. Images attached are (in my opinion) early Holdsworth production.

Attachments

• Early Holdsworth CB.jpg
    Early Holdsworth CB.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 340
  • Early Holdsworth CB.2.jpg
    Early Holdsworth CB.2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 340
VeloFellow54":3vffj076 said:
Why is it assumed that Holdsworth did not commence production of CB machines until 1959 ? Holdsworth had the trade marks by the summer of 1958 and they would have known of the potential sales that they could achieve with CB (and subsequent sales show this as they were relatively low priced - I have heard that sales in the early days were at a ratio of 7 : 1 against Holdsworth) I would be surprised if Holdsworth were not 'knocking' out CB frames as soon as they had the head badges and decals made. I spoke with Ken Phillips a while ago (now in his 90's - he was a lug cutter at Holdsworth at that time) and he told me that they were turning out CB frames at a prodigious rate before 1960) However, perhaps there is a record of the date of the first production ?

You are of course quite correct in highlighting the fact that Holdsworth secured three registered Claud Butler trade marks back in July 1958 and of course would want to get started straight away in capitalising on this.
However, please allow me to refer to my earlier statement “early days as we only have a few numbers to 'hang' specific dates on and these predictions may be 6 months to a year either way”
There has also been some discussion regarding whether or not the first Holdsworth re-badged Claud frames were picked from the Holdsworth production line and therefore had those numbers and that the Holdsworthy Clauds may not have got there own numbers immediately on the 1st of August.
Also we must remember that a lot of legal wrangling and mucking about was done right up to the point that they ‘won’ the rights to these trademarks, who’s to say that they knew they would be successful by the end of July?
I think (and its only my opinion – not fact) that it would have been highly unlikely that mobilisation of the new Claud range would have happened on the 1st of August and therefore production would not have been at maximum capacity for at the very least a few months.
Ok, so number “1” could well have been made in 1958, but we have no corroborating evidence, hence the caveat of our predictions being possibly out by 6 months to year.

PS, If Holdsworth were so ready to monopolise on selling Claud Butlers straight away, how come they didnt start to advertise them until 1959?

Found this on Classic Lightweights by Mick Butler

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/claudbutler.html

Mick adds: Claud Butler was purchased by the Holdsworth Co Ltd Lullington Rd, Anerly, London SE20 in 1958. They started remaking Clauds in January 1959.

(Cycling & Mopeds January 21st 1959). "The most famous name in the British lightweight industry is back on the roads of Britain. For the last few weeks I have been riding a Claud Butler, the 1959 version, the five-speed Challenge All-Rounder model. I can say, with emphasis, that it does justice to a great name." It goes on later to quote from the C B catalogue (1959), "Claud Butler cycles have been famous through the last three decades - won esteem and pride of ownership - based on outstanding success at international events. no other cycle has had such a record over so many years - successful at every type of road and track competition - the 1959 range, while appealing to all pockets has been planned to ensure that this succession of wins will continue.......... all frames and forks are built in our own workshops and guaranteed against defective workmanship and materials." "As many readers will know, there has been a brief lapse, after financial difficulties, in the production of cycles bearing this name. New interests have acquired the trade mark and manufacture has resumed." The article then goes on to describe the models to be produced.

Back