1950? Jim Guard of Southampton project

Cheers fellas. Made more progress last night. Cleaned the bottom bracket, (Bayliss Wiley) spindle and bearings. Some pitting on one side which was a shame, I'll have to address this later, just replaced the rusty bearings for now.
Then set to work on the cheap set of wheels I'd bought off ebay. These were just to get the bike on the road while I sorted out a more period set when time and funds allowed. These had been on my radar a while, and had been relisted several times for £49. Seller must have got fed up and they went on for £29 so I snapped them up. Just a later set of 26" x 1 1/4" Weinmann rims, no idea on the hubs but they had a three speed sprocket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221437901440? ... 1439.l2648

A recent eBay purchase by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Wasn't sure on the hub, but it cleaned up very well, and has "Made in England" on it.

eBay score. by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

But what really made my day was this, a Cyclo Type "B" sprocket!

Cyclo Type B by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

I'm really hoping this will be a good match for the Cyclo Ace close ratio gearing this bike has.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Taking shape, but still a long way to go! This was halfway through yesterday evenings session ...

Taking shape ... by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Handlebar tape and brake levers are now on. Brake calipers are on. Still sorting out the original cables. The cloth outers are worn, and I'm replacing them with similarly old and grungy but slightly more life in them. The joys of feeding old cables through old outer cases ...

Also, rather optimistically fitted the original chain on ... it has several sticky links though. I was hoping it would free itself up with use, but reckon I'm on a hiding to nothing and will fit a shiny new chain that's waiting in the wings.

Also, help! What is this cloth tape called?? It's used all over the bike to hold the brake and gear cables in place. It is old, and I assume put on when the bike was built. A cross between handlebar tape and gaffa tape. Can you still get it?

Jim Guard frame number by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Re: Re:

quiet mike":1udxoewh said:
Also, help! What is this cloth tape called?? It's used all over the bike to hold the brake and gear cables in place. It is old, and I assume put on when the bike was built. A cross between handlebar tape and gaffa tape. Can you still get it?

Newbaums is good stuff or there's Tressorex

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newbaums-Eco- ... 27e54a28a4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Classic-V ... 58aa0bf065

Cotton tape is really for the handle bars. You need the old type chrome cable clips for the brakes, something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-3-C-S ... 56624750b3

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Well, it's all in one piece at least ... fingers crossed as it's going up to Bakewell tomorrow.

IMG_0413 by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

And apologies for the orange plastic water bottle ... I would love a Coloral one day ...

Re: Re:

quiet mike":dotalfg6 said:
Cheers Robbie. I only used one role of black tape for the handlebars, and will use the other half to fix the cables back on. I want to keep the machine as original as possible. This tape is more substantial than handlebar tape though?

The Newbaums cotton tape is pretty substantial stuff, quite heavy and thick.

I'm shooting up to Bakewell on Saturday so might spot you, there can only be one Jim Guard :)

Nope, I shouldn't be difficult to spot Robbie ...

Taking the Guvnor out for a spin by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Or look for this old lump in the campervan field ..

trail bashing by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Say hi if you see us!

Rode it in the couple of miles into work today, no serious issues! Lost a brake block through a late night schoolboy error ... put it in wrong way round - chain slipped off one, just needs adjusting. Rides well, gear change is clean, no nasty squeaks or grumbles, can take hands off the bars without going in the ditch. Just need to pull the saddle back a little, and get rid of the bell as it's in the way there.
Looking forward to giving it a good ride now!

Re:

Great result today, in response to an appeal in the local history society's newsletter. Thanks Terry Pook for sending this little gem my way, really helps putting a face to the name, and a fantastic story. Quite strange knowing the man who built up this bike also worked on the first flight of the prototype Spitfire in 1936!
From the book "Hampshire Heritage, a Look Back
through the Decades, Series 2", which is a compilation of Keith
Hamilton's pages from the Daily Echo newspaper.

Jim Guard Cycles article by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

And the bike outside the same shop now

124 Macnaughton Rd, Jim Guard Cycles by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Back