1949 Claude Butler

What a great project! Watching with interest, and some very useful info posted already on here. I'm taking notes too!
Interesting hearing about the rust treatments. I am currently trying out some rusty parts in a cheap white vinegar solution. It seems to be working very well, but I'd like to compare to Oxalix acid. I have a whole frame I'd like to soak!

Mike,
Vinegar and oxalic acid are reasonably similar in their effectiveness (both work)
For a whole frame you would need a flat bath (eg a second hand cardboard bike box), then strategically place items where the frame won't be resting (eg bricks). The more you do this the less fluid you will need.
Then cover with a plastic sheet.
Place the frame on the plastic and fill with the mild acid (vinegar, oxalic acid, phosphoric acid) and let it gently convert the rust. It should take a few days, but check and wipe off any of the converted material regularly. Make sure the frame is free from grease, oils etc which may reduce the effectiveness.
rimssoaking_zps82aef33f.jpg

chromerimsbeforesmall_zps9b7d795a.jpg

Chromerimsaftersmall_zpsd6a0c7cf.jpg

and where I treated some painted parts (they are 1937 red mudguards) and only submerged half into the solution for about 5 days
acid201406210845_zpsc6hmsxgr.jpg

Back