Buckley Bros Road Bike 1949

ChrisCornwall

Retro Newbie
My Dad has a Buckley Bros road bike complete with the invoice, letters and receipts from when he had it made for him back in 1949. He 93 years old now and moved into a home and are sorting all his belongings out. Taking after my Dad I am an active road cyclist and wish to buy the bike from Dad. I obviously wish to give him the going price so I need to value it and have no clue to its value ( little or no market value found when googling) or where to get it valued. Any guidance would be much appreciated. I attached some pictures of both the bike and paperwork. I also am looking forward too to becoming a part of this classic bike owners community 👍 Thanks in advance for any helpful comments. IMG_1418.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpeg
    IMG_1419.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    804 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    668 KB · Views: 34
The bike appears to have little or none of the 1949 equipment. Fitted bikes from this period often reflect the value of that original equipment, particularly if the frame is not from a high-profile maker.
Frames in original paintwork are also valued. It appears that the frame has been modified over time and then repainted.
My (late) father's bike suffered the same fate. But that was due to my preferences around 1970 when it was refurbished for me to ride. It cost me a fortune in returning it to be 1948 period compliant. Having to pay far market price for the components, I then needed to pay postage to the other side of the world. And it was the project that started my period bike journey.
These considerations affect market value, which would be modest.

The sentimental attachment far outweighs the market price.
I would encourage you to speak with your father, and try to identify the original equipment (the 1952 Brown Brothers Catalogue has many good images), then decide the future of the bike in your hands.
as a start, the Brooks B17 Narrow saddle is on page 201

There are many here who can offer well-informed suggestions to help you.

Thankyou for your informative reply. During it time it got stolen, stripped and the frame was dumped in a hedge. Somebody found the frame and fitted it out for his boy. A friend of Dads saw it at a fair. Long story short Dad managed to reclaim it and he sent it off to back to Buckley Bros to be refitted. Dad in his time will have done 1000’s of miles on it so I am not surprised that much originality remains. Thankyou for the link to the Brown Brothers catalogue. I am still keen to purchase from Dad but I am still unsure what is fair value.

What a history!

Another of my bikes, a 1952 EA Boult had been ridden by the original owner up until the morning I bought it. Only the frame and saddle remained from 1952 with the other parts modernised as the parts wore out. Dave didn't want the frame to go to scrap and there were no family members who had an interest. We arrived at a figure that didn't reflect the emotional value that Dave associated with his bike, but it was over the market price for such a frame in Australia. I knew was going to be a tiny fraction of the final project price, and a final price that the marketplace would never see realized. And over the project, Dave came to appreciate the financial cost of restoring the bike. But it became a shared project.
to this, based on Dave's recollections
Is it the intention to return it to 1949 specifications, or keep it as is?

What price does your father/other family members value it at?

That’s a nice story with the” joint project” on the EA Boult. It looks in showroom condition. I was thinking of leaving it as it is because that the specification Dad arrived at and so it has some of presence in the bike. Family members do not know it value. Dad was told by a bike enthusiast it is around £500

That’s a nice story with the” joint project” on the EA Boult. It looks in showroom condition. I was thinking of leaving it as it is because that the specification Dad arrived at and so it has some of presence in the bike. Family members do not know it value. Dad was told by a bike enthusiast it is around £500
I have to say sadly that is very optimistic. I wouldn't pay that much and I have a bit of a thing for old bikes.

Offer it to the bike enthusiast for £500.
What bikes are in the bike enthusiast's personal collection to support that valuation?
His wildly optimistic valuation has made the whole exercise toxic.
You could have a family member list it on ebay with collection only with a reserve of say £150, and then you can place your maximum bid (don't tell anyone of your maximum bid) when it is listed and see if others are prepared to bid. If they bid less than your maximum, your bid will automatically outbid them each time until you reach your maximum bid. That would be a true test of the market value. I acknowledge that there are ebay fees to pay, but there is a clear market value established, and no ongoing bad feelings.

There are two values - what it is worth to someone else, and what it is worth to you.

1. The value to someone else is that of an 1949 frame, with some more recent parts (but still very much not modern).
2. The value to you of bike that’s been in (and briefly out) of your dad’s ownership for over seventy years.

I’m no expert, but £500 seems a strong price for value #1, and there is no easy way to a value on #2.

Some years ago I retrieved my dad’s 1962/3 Freddie Grubb Tourmalet from his garage (it had been hanging up semi-dismantled for as long as I could remember and not ridden since I was born). No money changed hands, and it’s cost me more than it was worth to get it rideable - sensitive parts choice rather than period correct - the brooks saddle and bar tape was brand new, campag wheels circa late ‘60s.

It now lives in my house, and gets taken out for occasional rides on nice days, any pictures get sent to my dad, who enjoys the fact that it still gets ridden.

Latest posts

Back