1938/39 Parkes Lightweight

Re: 1937 Parkes Lightweight

really looking forward to seeing more

I'm going to bring my BSA home from work tomorrow so I can stash it in the loft. I spotted this 1947 Sun Manxman on oldbike.eu which looks really like mine but a bit newer and I might borrow the 26" wheels off the BSA to get me rolling. So it might shape up a bit like the bike in the link but I think with much bigger clearances. I'll see how it looks...

I also picked up a pair of Weinmann 730 calipers off eBay which have a bit more reach than the 500 that I put on there. May get me out of a stitch if I decide to use a 700c or a tubular but I don't think it'll reach a 26" wheel.

Here we go, trial fit with the 26 x 1-3/8" wheels. I think my cranks are buried in the shed so I threw on this Rudge one that SWMBO doesn't know is under my socks in the drawer.

1938-1939 Parkes 20.jpg

Now, I was expecting them to look a lot smaller than they do. I still need a smaller axle to fit in the rear dropouts, but they fill the forks quite substantially. The 27" tyre is about 35mm bigger in total diameter, so it'll be a squeeze if it does fit. I'm wondering if tubulars might not be such a bad idea after all.

Oh, and weights. The frame/fork/bars/saddle combo weighs just a little under 5kg. Those wheels weigh a whopping 2.6kg for the rear and 2.3kg for the front!

Last edited:

Jonny69":13tdbti5 said:
Here we go, trial fit with the 26 x 1-3/8" wheels. I think my cranks are buried in the shed so I threw on this Rudge one that SWMBO doesn't know is under my socks in the drawer.

image.jpg

Now, I was expecting them to look a lot smaller than they do. I still need a smaller axle to fit in the rear dropouts, but they fill the forks quite substantially. The 27" tyre is about 35mm bigger in total diameter, so it'll be a squeeze if it does fit. I'm wondering if tubulars might not be such a bad idea after all.

Oh, and weights. The frame/fork/bars/saddle combo weighs just a little under 5kg. Those wheels weigh a whopping 2.6kg for the rear and 2.3kg for the front!

Thanks for sharing this
She looks sweet!
Lovely profile and lines along with the lug work

I wish you could upload some clearer brighter detailed pics - but I am willing to wait until you finish her for those !!

I'm still collecting parts for this. The wheels have been holding me up but I've made progress! I still haven't chosen whether it's going to be 27" or sprints and so far I have parts that can build either.

I found a matching 32 hole front hub for my 40 hole Normandy:

[image lost]

The plan for these is ideally something with an alloy rim, because they're light, so most probably sprint rim. I picked up a whole 27" rear wheel with Dunlop rim and Resilion hub. Stripped and already lost the axle somewhere in the shed:

1938-1939 Parkes 21.jpg

If I can find a steel front rim, then I can make a wheel set up with this Exeltoo hub, which is another budget steel hub from the 50s:

[image lost]

I now have a selection of older fixed gears. Villiers in 16 and 21, and an unknown in 18T:

[image lost]

Baylis Wiley freewheel in 16T and cheapo Selco one with 18:

[image lost]

For brakes I've got some Weinmann 730s which I thought from the photos would be the older models but are later ones:

[image lost]

No worries, I can swap some bits around. And finally some Mafac levers which need a good clean:

[image lost]

So it's getting there. I need to find those front rims and lace some wheels up. Then I'll know if the brakes will reach and from there I think it's basically good to go.

Last edited:

Lovely bike & well deserving the attention it's getting: )
I'm sure I have a pair 27s that might suit you, if you are still looking, from a 55 Rory O'Brien, (Milremos) tied & soldered.
I'll count the spokes when I unearth them later.

I just found the wheels & I have to disappoint you, because they are 36s....

Here's the proof. Milremo rims, Normandy hubs, Cyclo FW.
Sorry about that, but maybe I got something else you need that I do, actually, have?: )

Lots of us in the same boat there, methinks.

Very nice is your Parkes though: )

Thanks for looking. It's just those two rims that I'm looking for - a chromed steel 27" and ideally a 50s alloy sprint rim. Both with 32 holes.

Back