1904? Miami cycle

Nabeaquam

BoTM Winner
Could be a 1904 model by looking at their catalog. IMG_0189.jpeg

Like mountain bikes now, early bicycle manufacturers promoted gimmicks and touted the gimmicks as the latest and best. Miami cycles gimmick was large chainrings, like this 1907 model. IMG_0191.jpeg

I got the bike about 10 years ago at Christmas time at a fire sale price. The seller was going to Jamaica for Christmas and needed cash fast. He had a friend disassemble the bike and pack it. Unfortunately he didn’t include the hub nuts, which had obsolete threading and the seller lost them. It took me two years to replace them. The original wood wheels were respoked and trued. The bars had holes rusted through on one side and a carbon fiber wrap fixed that. The wood grips were cracked and epoxied back together and covered in cork. I ride it a few times every year.
As purchased, but with rebuilt wheels and custom made 1/2 inch pedals. IMG_0006.jpeg
Looked like it had black paint over nickel. All the original nickel plating has tarnished away. IMG_2132.jpeg IMG_0193.jpeg IMG_0195.jpeg IMG_0197.jpeg IMG_0198.jpeg IMG_0199.jpeg

I just found this drawing from a Miami Cycle 1904 catalog. I’m not saying this clinches my bike as a 1904 but it’s pretty much spot on. My bars are probably reversed as was a common practice back then. You could also buy these bikes with a variety of upgrades like pedals, bars and saddles. I’d guess my bike is from around that time. IMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_2132.jpeg

Back