£5 Ebay bargain

Top result... nice frame with decent bits.... Must be one of the companies more special efforts to have 531 tubing on it.

I have a Carerra mountain bike that sometimes gets thrashed about and the frame is one of the better ones they produced as well, feels sporty.

If the seller had added pics they would have got much more than a fiver :D

malvernman":1xv2oocj said:
Top result... nice frame with decent bits.... Must be one of the companies more special efforts to have 531 tubing on it.

I have a Carerra mountain bike that sometimes gets thrashed about and the frame is one of the better ones they produced as well, feels sporty.

If the seller had added pics they would have got much more than a fiver :D

The guy I bought it off was quite philosophical about it. He had owned it since new, and had used it for some serious touring, including trips to the continent. Seemed quite attached to it but hadn't ridden for years and needed the space.
His wife, who had never used Ebay to sell anything put the ad on. My luck.

Top result for a fiver. Lower end mid range stuff but perfectly rideable. Far better than a BSO.

Gruppo looks like rx100. Sante was earlier than this IIRC.

Amusing as the FSM stuff is could you make your avatar a little smaller, 80x80 recommended. Also can I assume since your posting FSM propoganda here you're posting retrobike propoganda on any FSM boards?

ededwards":2laq4dzd said:
Great buy for a fiver, pretty sure the groupset is Shimano Sante

RX100 which I think is pretty rubbish, but looks retro ish, and fits in with the rest of the paintwork.

Just had a look at some Sante stuff though and does look similar, especially the rear mech.

John":2dkivg9b said:
Top result for a fiver. Lower end mid range stuff but perfectly rideable. Far better than a BSO.

Gruppo looks like rx100. Sante was earlier than this IIRC.

Amusing as the FSM stuff is could you make your avatar a little smaller, 80x80 recommended. Also can I assume since your posting FSM propoganda here you're posting retrobike propoganda on any FSM boards?

Wasn't meant as propoganda, just a joke - I didn't start it.

Will try and make it smaller, but not sure how to, will try tonight as at work now.

Sorry

Very nice bike, particularly at that money!

Let me know if you see another, I'm on the lookout for a cheap road bike ;)

RX100 was I think the equivalent of Tiagra - below it was RSX (=Sora if I remember right). Good sturdy serviceable kit, if not the last word in lightness. A bit like modern Deore.

A nice bike, 531 is probably better than many MTB frames that people hanker after (e.g. steel Cindercones).

Excellent buy for a fiver even if you had to buy new tubes. The Carrera's of those days weren't to bad a bike. I've got one in the garage (frame only) which needs some TLC but isn't half bad.

Sante was basically a White version of Ultegra and cost the same. I wasn't aware that there was a White version of RX100 but you learn something every day.

Back