1999 Kona Explosif????

philth

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Several years ago I was the proud owner of a Kona Explosif...Reynolds 853, XT, Syncros, hope hand built wheels...BUT...it was stolen.

I have been looking for one for ages but can't even seem to find any pictures of the 1999 model (I am guessing that was the year). It was gunmetal grey coloured with black, red and white text graphics. I am having such a hard time finding any info on it that I am beginning to think it was all a dream :LOL:

anybody know about htis model and have any pics?

Sorry to hear that. Go to http://www.klassickona.com/oldgold/99bi ... einfo.html and click on Explosif on the left

I'm afraid there aren't many of them around, despite 853 being such a highly-regarded tubeset. By 1999 though, the erroneous market perception that aluminium is a better material for bike frames than steel had really taken hold and this may explain a lower level of sales. I haven't seen a 1999 Explosif on sale on UK eBay for quite some time.

It is however identical aside from paint/decals to the 98 Explosif, and they come up from time to time.

Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• 1999 Explosif size 16 with red front.jpg
    1999 Explosif size 16 with red front.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 4,232
  • 1999 Explosif size 18 grey Z2s.jpg
    1999 Explosif size 18 grey Z2s.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4,231
  • 1999 Explosif catalogue.jpg
    1999 Explosif catalogue.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4,231
Fantastic!.....thank you...and thanks for the tip on the 98. I just bought a 98 fire mountain...clearly not 853...but steel all the same. Should tide me over until the real deal comes along!

I've still got mine.

Only one I've ever seen. Bought new.

Attachments

• exsplosif.GIF
    exsplosif.GIF
    209.5 KB · Views: 4,130
ratbane":1h8v5sl6 said:
I've still got mine.
Wise move. Think how much money you haven't spent in the meantime. No hope for you now you're on here though!

Anthony":1l2gombb said:
ratbane":1l2gombb said:
I've still got mine.
Wise move. Think how much money you haven't spent in the meantime. No hope for you now you're on here though!

Must admit, I've spent stacks over the years on her.

It's got XT/XTR drivetrain, REBA Teams (100mm), XTR Vs then XTR front disk, USE seat post, syntec stem, Mavic 519 rims on Hope Hubs.

Don't tell the missus though. She thought it was an ASDA special back then!!

Back