At what point does a frame stop being original Roberts?

biglev

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
If i repair this frame is it still a roberts?

I have a 1990 Roberts frame that had damage to the seat tube, bottom bracket and down tube (rusted through 753, 531 columbus "service de course" tubing).

1. If i replaced these to the same standard using reynolds 520 and columbus nivacrom would it still count as a Roberts even if it was not done by them?

2. Worst still if the whole front end was replaced does that even count?

you can see a number of repairs and there are some cracks.
robertsst.jpg

roberts%20bb.jpg.opt420x315o0,0s420x315.jpg

i.e if this work was done and you bought this bike , knowing what had been changed would you feel agreeved to have the badge on it? At what point would you say that is no longer a roberts?
All opinions welcome.

Cheers
Pete

Personally I wouldn't be happy buying a bike that was not 100% by the original builder. When a builder puts their name to something it is a bit like a seal of approval, a personal commitment of the frames quality. If someone else fundamentally changes the bike by removing/replacing tubes then I would expect to know that as I may not trust them as much as the original builder. It could be a bit like owning a Rembrandt and then having 'Dave the household painter & decorator' doing restoration on it.

This, for me, is really significant when looking at custom/handmade frames but less so with production frames.

But if the job is done really well by a good builder and you are upfront author then I am sure the user would respect that and actually be happier to know that the work had been done and done properly so in that respect it could be a selling feature.

Part of the ride of a bike is the material its made from, so if tubes are replaced with different specification materials then the bike has changed. On the other hand it would retain the designers geometry so.....

Good question!

pete_mcc":5lcarvzd said:
Personally I wouldn't be happy buying a bike that was not 100% by the original builder. When a builder puts their name to something it is a bit like a seal of approval, a personal commitment of the frames quality. If someone else fundamentally changes the bike by removing/replacing tubes then I would expect to know that as I may not trust them as much as the original builder. It could be a bit like owning a Rembrandt and then having 'Dave the household painter & decorator' doing restoration on it.

This, for me, is really significant when looking at custom/handmade frames but less so with production frames.

But if the job is done really well by a good builder and you are upfront author then I am sure the user would respect that and actually be happier to know that the work had been done and done properly so in that respect it could be a selling feature.

I Agree with this. you buy a Roberts for the quality of workmanship not the materals. I think i may get it repaired but may have to refer to it as a "replica roberts" and explaint allt he history if i was to sell it.

Shame the guy I bought it from was not as honest as it as the black diy paint and botched brazing fixes we nto mentioned when i bought it. never mind i also have a nice 89 roberts as well.

May be I just scrapt this one.

Back