US comments on the UK scene thread please

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
as requested a separate thread for US comments. again please respect this thread as others have the one highlighted below.

have to say i am really pleased with the response to this thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

alot seems to echo my thoughts on the UK scene, with only a couple of exceptions so far, which seem to centre around whether or not you'd seen MBA mag on the shelves. the bikes we chose to buy and ride back then have similarities of reasons for buying them, which to me is not surprising.

i am now curious as to what the US guys think of these stories of our lack of US influence on what we rode.

do you guys understand (after reading the above thread) any better why we ride/restore/vote for the brands/bikes that we do?

does it make any sense to you?

looking for a US views and comments now please

:D

This is not intended to spam the thread, just genuine observations.

I know the majority of forum members are UK or USA based, but there seems to a slightly arrogant or may be simply ignorant approach to these threads with regard other countries.

I remember when growing up there was a thriving MTB following in France, and since being on here it's become apparent that this was the case in many other countries.

At the time I didn't really consider this at all.

The greatest surprise to my own ignorance was the apparent popularity in Singapore. With hindsight, this could almost certainly be attributed in a large part to the Shimano plant there, but one only has to spend a little time looking at Jeff's posts with photos of shops exploding with exotica to see there was a thriving import going on too - which presumably means there was a market?

Either that, or the fact the shops are still stocked with Pauls and ProShift indicates there wasn't a market...?!

In any case, whilst I think it's entertaining to hear of UK / USA stories describing the ascendance of different forum members and their experiences, personally I think it would be informative to hear how other countries handled the development - be it 'in house' or through imports.

There were masses of European racers in the worlds very early on, but we rarely hear stories of their 'homeland' so to speak...

As I say, not intending to be confrontational in any way, but Poles, Dutch, German, Italian, Les Francais - we've even got some brazillian members on here! Their insights would make a very interesting read also I think!

Cheers,
BB

People in places like India have been taking bikes across terrain that makes everything ridden in USA, UK and the rest pretty unadventurous, and they have been doing it for a long time.

Without fuss, fanfare or scene.

BoyBurns is so right! Ever since I have joined you lot have been banging on about USA and UK differences.
FFS just ride the bikes and show off the bikes!!

This site is internationlly known now and has loads of cool bikes from all over the map, just look at the galleries and map of where people are from.

We don't want to know your life history just show us the retro bikes you love!!!
If its old skool its in!
Peace. :cool:

Don't see a problem with it being international but were these threads not a response/olive branch to our US chums after everyone got their knickers in a twist?

indeed, I'd be interested in knowing an "outsiders" view of the UK developments and scene.

Can people please stop spamming this thread now?

brocklanders023":8ljjk858 said:
Don't see a problem with it being international but were these threads not a reponse/olive branch to our US chums after everyone got their knickers in a twist?

yes exactly! i'm glad this has been realised.

the reason i started the original thread was not to be arrogant or ignorant to other mtb-ing countries as BB might think (not meaning to single you out in a rude way). the reason was because in recent threads like the jan botm i had noticed an us and them feeling and arguments between specifically the US and the UK membership. the thread was a not so obvious attempt to mend a fence in an understanding way that would explain our differences.

every scene in every country is and was different!

but i was concentrating on the US influence (or not) as it is generally considered that mtb-ing as we know it started there and i wanted the US readership to understand why we have our differences without it resorting into a stupid and unhelpful pointless argument like some previous threads have become.

if you want to start a thread about how the scene developed in other countries that's fine, please do so, but please don't ruin what could and should be a good thread by turning it into an argument. that is not what i wanted.

the problem now is that the US views that i wanted might not come now as this thread has developed in the wrong direction.

their view is important, as is anyones, but i was asking for their view on this subject because in this case, on this subject, their view is unique and was the view i wanted.

i hope that clarifies my reasons.

Back