How old too be classed as retro?

Daddy-Cool

Dirt Disciple
I found this site when i was looking for some 8 speed Campag chorus bits for my 1991 Tommasini Super Prestige.

Is this now classed as a retro bike?
If it is i feel realy old now :cry:

Just posted some pics in readers bikes

I'd say 1991 was middle aged compared to most bikes on this forum. We have some from 80's and up to late 90-'s so yours is right in the middle there!

As to feeling old - well, call it experience!

Go onto vintage road bike sites and the talk is of 50s/60s roadpath machines and older so I think it's a bit different than mountain bike age categories.

For what it's worth my rule of thumb (note that this is for me, may not necessarily apply to everyone else) is for bikes that I wanted back in the day but couldn't afford/find although I'm not fussy about period correct or not. A 91 Tommasini would fit in with that (for me), particularly if fitted with downtube shifters.

Oh, and if anyone sees a Colnago Mexico in 60/61cm please let me know

I agree it is for roadbikes different than for ATBs. Though when I see an early 90s roadbike I feel very sentimental and I perceive them as from way long ago. Back then roadcycling world was pretty conservative. Having said that, I also get that sentimental feeling with seeing an old Look....

Latest posts

Back