1940's Raleigh with 531 tubing?? What would that be?

retrowagen1234":1vlysgd7 said:
chris667":1vlysgd7 said:
Is that yours? I saw that on london fixed gear.... Was contemplating p.m'ing to ask if its for sale :LOL:

Fame at last!

Alas, I had to get rid of it. It would have fallen to bits if I kept using it, and I didn't have access to a workshop to do the restoration job it so patently deserved.

My mate Graham did it up; it has been refinished in its original pearlescent green with gold lettering, and has all new parts; it's beautiful now, BOTM material.

Got any pics of it as it is now? Nothing better than a nice ol raleigh :D

Ive done the same thing a few times... Best to move it on if you havnt got the time or space for a resto or the work it needs...

I really regret getting rid of that old Raleigh. But I'd be too worried to own it now it's sorted.

There's probably pictures at www.togglechaintour.co.uk if you look. I don't think the connection here is letting me see it.

As to wheel sizes, it depends when they were built. Mine had 26 x 1 1/4" wheels but later ones were 27 x 1 1/4".

My grandad was good enough to dig his photo album out last night, And when my dad came home, He brought this with him... I scanned it in...

The bike in question, Pictured around 1951

GRANDADSBIKE.png

I really like the way they look, with more relaxed frame angles and smaller wheels than I'm used to on a sporting road bike. That brunswick green looks fantastic as well. Were Raleigh selling these as do anything bikes - bit of weekend touring, take the bag and lights off for racing?

Having a hard time not immediately trying to score one on ebay...

r-enton-sports-51-cat.jpg

Lenton.

Note the mention of Reg Harris - my Lenton is in Reg's signature colour: often referred to as Reg Harris Red. Harris was a five times World Champion (I think 5).

Note the highly underrated Sturmey Archer hub, a great innovation and older classic bicycles look great with them.

This would have been an allrounder, from the days when you didn't need ten different bikes - one for reach discipline.

We're all rather gullible these days, marketing has usurped product - why we get these awful bicycle frames from the far east.

Why do you think bicycle frames come in small medium and large with the super fashionable sloping top tubes and lots of seat post extension?

Roadking.

Anyone got any idea how many spokes these things had?

Rear wheel preferably? Want to start looking for hubs / rims and that sort of thing... But if i buy a 3 speed equipped bike, The hub will be swapped for a period one minus the 3 speed.

40 spokes for the back wheel, 32 for the front. The way good bikes ought to be, bearing in mind the back wheel carries 2 1/2 times the weight of the front.

It would most likely have been a 4 speed, too. Not a 3 speed.

Back