Rear wheel for the Raleigh.

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well much to my disapointment i have a crack in the original rim of the millard helco wheel, so to fit a new rim is going to cost around £55 at the LBS, not sure what old replacement will cost, a modern new wheel is as little a £35, so whats best for the old girl? How dificult is it to fit a new hud to an old frame?

Help what would you do?

The job can be as easy/difficult or cheap/expensive as you want to make it. Basically it's down to what rim you want.

I just relaced my first wheel and with a bit of research with youtube how-to's and Sheldon Brown's guide to wheel building I managed to get it absolutely spot on with no special tools other than a spoke key.

For the rim, well, it depends on whether it's 700c or 27", steel or alloy and what you want it to look like. Old chrome 27's come up from time to time on eBay but command good money if they're in good condition, polished alloy ones will start to dent the bank account. Old style looking 700c's are also quite difficult to find and will be more expensive than a new style anodised alloy wheel.

If you're not fussed what it looks like then a new wheel is probably your cheapest bet. The hub should fit the width as they have spacers you add or take off to suit.

This eBay seller has some reasonable priced wheels. £35 for a new polished 27": http://stores.ebay.co.uk/shacklewell-components

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
looks Jim has an old wheel with a helcomotic hud for sale, not sure what the price is yet. if the price is steep i will look at cheep new wheels.

So what do i do about the spacing ? its only a 501 frame , so do i just pull on the frame and push the wheel in or do I take a large plank of wood to the frame?

Cheers

Back