Rear wheel lock nut question

fiveSixteenths

Senior Retro Guru
Afternoon all, rear wheel question here

Have a set of early ‘60’s Record hubs, the rear of which has two locknuts on the NDS

The outer, larger, is c.8mm wide, but is there a narrower alternative?

Am trying to gain (loose) about 4mm from the overall OLD to fit this 120mm wheel into a 116mm gap (1953 bike)

With the larger nut removed it fits perfectly but am wondering if left like so it’ll kill me?

The axle is hollow so am using the original QR as well (hopefully)

Apologies if you've already thought of this, but remember, as you alter the axle spacing unevenly, you put the rim out of centre relative to the exile, so you'll have to redish the wheel

Apologies if you've already thought of this, but remember, as you alter the axle spacing unevenly, you put the rim out of centre relative to the exile, so you'll have to redish the wheel
Ah, good point
The wheel needs truing as it is, so I’d better get the dishing guide out as well :)

Two lock nuts sounds strange, on the non drive side Campag usually had the cone, a tab washer and a single lock nut.
I've seen 2 campag alternatives (on left side)
First was cone, thin silver washer and then thick lock nut
Second was cone, a ribbed washer about 3mm thick and then a half size locknut

Bit dark, but from the left, inwards…
The qr lever, a serrated washer (2mm), the first lock nut (8mm, which I’ve just threaded onto the right of the dropout so I don’t loose the blimming thing), dropout, thin steel washer, inner locknut
The on the DS, the mech hanger

Attachments

• IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7473.jpeg
    IMG_7473.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 13
You're right, it's a bit dark. Looks to me that what you're calling the inner lock nut is actually the cone. Whereever the serrated washer came from you don't need it. It should be the 8mm lock nut, the thin washer and then the cone. There are different thickness Campagnolo lock nuts - you've got the #33 which is 8mm, there's another similar in design which I don't know the number of but is 6mm then there's the Nuovo Tipo 4mm thick #1283 lock nut which is a hex nut rather than a collar with cone spanner flats.

Back