1970? Claud Butler Electron Super Five

Congratulations Mrs Butler, it's twins. Well, kind of...

Here we go. I am really looking forward to getting stuck into this - a bit of elbow grease should have it looking pretty good. And I'm just a sucker for the colours and graphics that CB were using at this time. I'd guess this dates from around 1967, going by the catalogue extract from that year:

67superCoureur.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02467.jpg

And here are those lovely wheels - mmmmmmm...

DSC02466.jpg
[/img]

Fitted some Panaracer Paselas in a burst of tyre related extravagance. Clearance for the World Tours that the bike had on previously was marginal between the chain stays and it was easy to have them rub if the rear wheel wasn't absolutely dead straight. The Paselas are skinnier, and there's a lot more room to play with. I'm hoping for a little less rolling resistance as well. The Claud has always felt very fast, and I hope the Paselas will help make sure it actually is!

The paint looked spectacular in the aftrenoon sunlight...

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

Sorry - forgot to actually focus on the bike for this one:

DSC02585.jpg

carlton flier":3r24t5pw said:
Where did you get the alloy bike pump from? :D

You could have bought one just like that at the Thurcroft Jumble yesterday. Not a million miles away from you too.

I know - 'cos I did!

Excellent value for the princely sum of £1.00, complete with connector.

And it works.

Ned's is better advice than mine - I was just lucky in that the bike had been with the same bloke since it was new, and he'd hung on to the pump as well.

Old Ned":m3lg638f said:
carlton flier":m3lg638f said:

You could have bought one just like that at the Thurcroft Jumble yesterday. Not a million miles away from you too.

I know - 'cos I did!

And it works.
A real bargain for a quid but if you travelled all the way from Wakefield for it not such a bargain If you ever want to sell it for some profit email me & regarding Thurcroft Jumble Er no thanks :D :D

carlton flier":2md7qarl said:
Old Ned":2md7qarl said:
carlton flier":2md7qarl said:

I know - 'cos I did!

And it works.
A real bargain for a quid but if you travelled all the way from Wakefield for it not such a bargain If you ever want to sell it for some profit email me & regarding Thurcroft Jumble Er no thanks :D :D

Considering I was there selling and came away well in hand and having bought stuff as well then I can't complain. Have you ever been to a jumble to have such an opinion? If you want vintage stuff it's the best way. At least you can handle it and check it out - which you can't when buying on e-bay.

I have been caning my Viscount Aerospace Pro since early summer, and I made a conscious push a few weeks back to get out on my CB Electron a bit more. Here's a few photos from a run over to Budworth and Anderton in Cheshire a couple of weekends ago.

DSC04135.jpg

DSC04138.jpg

DSC04137.jpg

A new chain means that each and every one of those five gears is now available for forward motion, whereas previously making a grab for top involved twenty minutues trying to pry the chain out from behind the crank :oops: Buoyed up by Bradley's TdF triumph and the surfeit of gears, I unwisely raced a chap on a Cervelo R3 a week later.

Re:

This little tangerine beauty has been stuck in my mum and dads' garage since we moved house last autumn. Finally got around to rescuing it the weekend before, and celebrated by taking it out for a very lovely ride along Silpho Tops, Harwood Dale and Stainton Dale.

IMG_16771_zps5jr10lay.jpg

IMG_16761_zpstroziqr7.jpg

IMG_16781_zpswn4knqcj.jpg

Back