Tell me about 60s road bikes.

oldgit

Retro Guru
I'm thinking of doing a re build of an old cheap 60s bike. I'm looking at a very basic Sun frame on Ebay.
I have access to engineering and powder coating facilities which will keep cost down.
I'm also not worried about exact parts, more about the sort of kit that have been found on a bike like the Sun in the mid sixties.
I'm assuming it would have run 27" wheels, centre pulls and 5 or 10 speed?

I'm also guessing getting hold of period shifting or any 5 speed stuff will be quite difficult? So I'll probably run a freewheel.

Any good ideas.

One of the old frames the Vindec has a mech hanger which seems out of place on an old cheap frame, no?

From memory:-

You can get by on decent 60s tubular wheels, if you can find them. Milremo Super Champion or Fiamme ones come to mind. Tub of choice was the Pirelli Legerro or Legerrissimo.

Brakes were either Mafac Racer or Weinmann and chainsets were the Williams AB77, T A or Campag Gran Sport / Record.

Saddles were mostly Brooks or the Unica Nitor.

Mostly 5-speed blocks and wheels were buiilt with Robergel chrome-plated spokes.

Bars were GB make and these were taped with Tressoster cloth tape and plugged with Milremo plugs. Brake cables were exposed.

HTH

TBH Steve, I think what you've described would be a bit exotic for a '60's Sun. Without being unkind, they tended to be run-of-the-mill 'sports' bikes with lower end equipment.

I think they shared a lot of specifications with some of the lower Carlton (and possibly BSA) bikes as all were part of the Raleigh empire.

However, I'm quite happy to be told I'm wrong! :D

If I get one of these frames I'm thinking - Weinmann 730s or centre pulls, Simplex or Huret gears (Gransport would be nice) GB type bars and stem, alloy 27" wheels woth QR and 5 speed freewheel. I'm not sure what to look out for regards a single or double chainset?
Quill pedals, old Campy post, basic Brooks or imported copy and cloth tape to finish.

Dull apple green powder coat.

TBH Steve, I think what you've described would be a bit exotic for a '60's Sun.

As I hadn't yet discovered girls, the kit I mentioned was what got me excited at that time, Ned! :p

Back