BH Oquina rebuild

dirtydaniel

Retro Guru
After being an avid moutain biker for years I decided to go ahead and build up a roadbike, after trying out a mates and finding this great forum...

Firstly after posting this thread,
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68870
I got a complete bike from my man Hilts for a bargain £75 :)

start.JPG

It arrived and as Hilts had already told me, it wasn't all good, a lot of parts needed replacing but for the money I had :

Aluminium frame
Carbon Forks
2 wheels (the back hub turned out to be shot to pieces, more about this later)
Truvativ crank
2 working STI brake levers
2 stems
2 new quick release skewers
Various other bits that I ended up replacing anyway :cool:

Starting the strip.......

bike1.JPG

paintstart.JPG

painted.JPG

The paint was a bit marked in places and I didn't really like the colour, I did think about getting it powder coated at first but in the end decided to strip it back to the bare metal (by hand :roll: )

strip1.JPG

strip2.JPG

strip3.JPG

strip4.JPG

strip5.JPG

strip6.JPG

This took a loonnnnnng time and plenty of nitromors, steel wool, elbow grease...
most of the paint came off easily enough but some bits of it just wouldn't shift no matter how much acid I painted on or how much I swore at them.
In the end small wire wool drill attachments and more elbow grease finally got rid of the last little bits....

notstripbuild.JPG

strip7.JPG

shiny2.JPG

T-Cut, the mighty Autosol and yet more bloody elbow grease finally got it cleaned up and looking very nice if I do say so myself :)

shiny.JPG

Built up a bit to see what I was playing with ;)

shinybuild.JPG

halfbuild.JPG

Now it was my aim to get as many components for the build via this forum, and I did get some nice bits...including

Kalloy seatpost
105 rear mech
Drops
Campag brakes
Mavic CXP30 Wheelset

Some stuff I bought new - all the bearings were gone on the bike when I got it so off to CRC for :

Shimano BB
M:part Headset
Shimano 105 Cassette
Shimano Chain
Bar Tape
Brake Blocks

Then I decided to get some flash new tyres too :cool:

2x Michelin Pro3 Race
2x Slime innertubes

I also picked up a great new Flite saddle at my LBS for a bargain £25, and after deciding to remove the smaller front chain ring to run the bike 1x9, it looked a little like this :

ontheway.JPG

I thought at first I'd get this project finished in a couple of weeks - but it ended up taking way longer than this, plus costing me way more than I intended to spend as well :oops:

Once I started to build the bike up I ran into a couple of problems.....

Firstly one of the Campag brakes I'd bought didn't fit, so after more help from the retrobike gurus....
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77255
I had to get that retapped.
Luckily my cousin's dad is a caretaker and has a toolshop at his disposal, so that was that sorted.

After taking the (mostly fixed up) bike out on a test ride, the rear hub literally started to drop to pieces after 2 miles :evil:
A visit to my LBS confirmed its condition (The technical term used by the guy was "f**ked" I believe) so it was back to the forum to hunt for a new wheel.
NakedGav came to my rescue with a fine pair of CXP30s for just £45! So I snapped those up and got them on the bike.
Again, not totally knowing what I was doing (1st build and all) the new back wheel was way out of line with the frame and I had no idea why..

Back to the forum
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80259
and got an answer, as the thread says my LBS re-dished the wheel and I was good to go at last.

I left the bar tape until the bitter end, this went on monday night..and finally my BH Oquina was completed!!

finish.JPG

Bits of mud on the frame above due to taking it out for it's first 25 miles yesterday up the Bath cyclepath :)

I have to say a big thanks to everyone on this forum for your help and advice, plus all the cheap parts!
Still need to try the longer stem out as I'm not 100% on the riding position yet, however compared to a mountain bike the acceleration and speed on this thing is ridiculous!

I know the build isn't all strictly retro but I decided to run with it anyway, hope you all like it... cheers Retrobike! :D

From this
start.JPG

To this

finish.JPG

i think you did a sterling job mate, looks really good. New set of pedals and you'll be laughing :D Where is the cable for the rear gear run from the lever? Is it under the tape?

Tel":2wn13n90 said:
i think you did a sterling job mate, looks really good. New set of pedals and you'll be laughing :D Where is the cable for the rear gear run from the lever? Is it under the tape?
Sorry Tel didn't see this answer before...
Yes the pedals are a little bit battered but I have some nice straps coming that should mostly cover them up :roll:

I did a little mod on the rear gear cable with a noodle from a mountain bike brake, trying to keep the lines of the bike a little cleaner :cool:

nood1.jpg

so it slips nicely under the tape like so....
nood2.jpg

nood3.jpg

Back