'91 Saracen Traverse Hydrotech Competition

Looks good Gav. As I've aleady said, that was a great bargian and I'm glad that it went to a good home, despite my half-hearted attempt to win the auction.
In terms of the amberwalls; as you no doubt know, it was originally specced with blackwall tyres in the 91 catalogue. This was somewhat unusual at a time when most tyres were skin walls. But I reckon that this bike still looks great with blackwalls.
If it was me I'd put some modern blackwalls on and ride it thorough the winter without worrying about dirtying up a nice set of ambers.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Easy_Rider":91igi62g said:
It seems all original except the for the front rim / hub and the tyres.

If you're after a Wolber rim I've got a pair of AT18's laced to some incomplete (no spindles) Deore LX hubs. You can have one (or both) if you want it.

I'm pretty local to you as well..

Nice Saracen E_R. So did Saracen go for E-Stay frames in a big way in 1991? It explains that when I got my 1990 Kili Flier Comp in 1991 there was a £50 discount. The new range was radically different rather than a 'new' colour.

Those old brown Saracen saddles are better than many an armchair! They must weigh about the same as a modern frame though! Mine is still doing stirling service on a mate's GT.

Stripped the bike down last night for a good old clean, decided to weigh the frame, with headset cups 2.85kg :shock:

Build like a battleship and for 17" frame too!

The 19" '92 Tufftrax frame weighs 2.48kg a featherweight in comparison.

Chainset has been refurbished as finding a non scratched one was impossible. Might look into getting the Shimano Deore on with a stencil.

Ritchey Alfa and Omega byte tyres fitted, not sure on the vintage of these, but as the catalogue shows the bike came with blackwalls, and since these don't have big lary lettering/logos i thought they suit it well.

I think the original spec barends were "Steer Horns" were these Saracen ones? The bike came with the Onza's currently fitted and since the rest of the bike (bar the red XC Pro tyres) was original then maybe they were too?

It was surprising how little wear the components have got, and everything works a treat, great fun bike to ride :cool:

Chainset looks tops :D, Did you repaint ? I am thinking of getting the XT arms on the Conquest anodised black, as you say they are hard to come by and when they do they are usually worn/skuffed big time :roll:

I think you have given the bike a new lease of life and is a prime example of how an early saracen was BITD.

Great Job done there ER :cool:

Thanks GM :oops:

I painted the chainset (cranks). After the primer I applied 3 coats of black, baking then rubbing down each coat, and then a coat of lacquer and a final rub down and polish. TBH it's probably a better finish than new :D

I've decided I may take the Saracen to this weekends retrobike meet if I could get the brakes setup (the levers were on the bar before the pads touched the rim and the cylinders were at max adjustment towards the rim).

So having no Magura Blood to hand or a bleed kit for that matter i decided to use water (as time is short) and have a go at bodging together a bleed system with some tubes and a syringe.

A few hours later and success, really positive feel, pistons move straight away and return instantly and the lever is tight when pads hit the rim.

Went out for a quick blast and noticed straight away the brakes are much improved, but feel very solid and don't bite, I think the pads of hardened over time, so i'll change these for another set I have.

While thinking where I had placed these spare pads another thought entered, its quite nippy today, wonder what the temperature is, then it hit me, what if the temp falls below zero on a ride and i've got water as my hydraulic fluid for my brakes, d'oh :shock:

should have used antifreeze :LOL:

You coming to Gisburn Easy? If so I'll look forward to seeing your Saracen as I remember drooling at them bitd and I'd defo have one now. Good luck with the Magura's! :shock: :LOL:

Back