Cheddar

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I was in the local supermarket today buying in some provisions and i went to get some extra mature cheddar cheese, just for a change from the standard stuff.
All there is ,is the generic brands like cathedral,but even their expensive 'Vintage mature' also has the words 'but mellow' on the package.

If i wanted a frigging mellow cheese id frigging buy a mellow cheese. :evil:

I want the blast the taste buds into orbit type of strong vintage cheese,older than God.but not a blue cheese or soft variety, just a cheddar :cool:
The supermarket or local deli's dont seem to stock such a thing :cry:

So i thought with such a mix of members here,many from traditional cheese making shires, that someone could recommend something locally made,and perhaps even arrange for some to be sent to me :cool: as a sample,if thats possible.

You need to go to Roger Wilkins farm in Mudgley, Somerset, as his cheese is absolutely fantastic. You'll probably need to try his cider too...

Or better still, Tower Farm Cheddar from Somerset. The best I have tasted by a long way.

sponsorship_top_image_galloway.jpg

works for me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Galloways is not bad ,but i dont think its what i want.
Not reknowned for our cheese making are the Scots,its more an english speciality .

cchris2lou":30e204ha said:
here you go :

www.fromages.com .

and no , cheese is not an english speciality .
I have been here 13 years and dont think I have found a good cheese yet .

Used to be a good cheese shop next door to the station at Tunbridge Wells :D We used to buy whole stiltons and bring them up to Glasgow for family folks at Xmas :LOL: :LOL:

The mature cheddar from Arran Creamery was pretty good last time i tasted it. Going there this weekend so will try to cadge a bit for you D/T :p

dek1165":1rv8obom said:
You need to go to Roger Wilkins farm in Mudgley, Somerset, as his cheese is absolutely fantastic. You'll probably need to try his cider too...

I can't express how correct this statement is. :)

As a Somerset boy born and bred, I like my Cheddar tasty, I mean eyes watering, taste buds tingling and sense of smell overwhelmed tasty. The supermarkets all used to sell a "tasty" cheddar that met these criteria, but has completely disappeared. :( All you get now is basically variations on a mild theme.

However Roger Wilkins is a saviour with his perfect home made cider and amazing tasty cheddar (best with the rind on - even has the little crystals of salt formed in it) ;) . I think it is actually made by a company called Rose Farm, in Cocklake (no sniggering) which is just down the road from Wedmore. Roger's farm is a true window into the past, nothing has changed there apart from the additional cobwebs in years. Go there drink for free and only pay for what you take with you - AMAZING! :)

Sorry, got a bit carried away. :oops:

P.s. These boys aren't bad either: http://www.farmhousecheesemakers.com/

Some of those farm made ciders are magic

Went on a geological mapping trip to Hereford when a student. Area being mapped was littered with "Cider Farms" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back