Singlespeed tribulations

I'm looking at the IF Ti Delux,Kent Erickson or Lynski. This is a fair way off yet because I've only just finished building a Scott Spark team issue for the summer and trying to get my Klein Attitude re-furbed(which is also ss :D ).
I need to have something expensive to save for or I fritter it all away on here :shock: :LOL:

Harryburgundy":20b0u34u said:
Pickle":20b0u34u said:
Exotic nice stuff should be built with gears.

Singlespeed IMO should never cost a great deal

Erm.....b*ll*cks :LOL: erm...I mean...I have to disagree with you on that one sir.

Its just the way I see it at the moment ;)

I get the whole SS concept, but cant justify paying more for less! :LOL:

I seem to spend a great deal of time wondering what it would be like to single speed my geared bikes. I have the most fun on single speed bikes. Actually I think 2 gears on a mountain bike is about right. One gear to get you to the trail head and the other gear once you arrive. Without the mechanical advantage of gears it becomes more of a test of the frame and the engine. But hey what do I know?, I think a SS carbon Specialized Tarmac is a good idea.

Trail gearing 32/16...
DSC01177.jpg

Road gearing 44/16...
DSC01178.jpg

The Paul Components tensioner allows the use of two front chainrings.[/img]

doesnt it get to the point where you might as well put a few more sprockets on and a shifter and have done with it :LOL: :roll:

perry":7kn35nqy said:
doesnt it get to the point where you might as well put a few more sprockets on and a shifter and have done with it :LOL: :roll:

Was just thinking that........

I'm totally in love with old Raleighs at the minute, and one of the many reasons is 3 gears is a really nice compromise. You get a gear that's about the same as most mountainbike singlespeeds, one that's the same as road fixed, and one for getting more speed downhill. No need to ar$e about with tensioners, either.
It still feels simple like a singlespeed, though, definitely not the same experience as an MTB triple.

I built my Singlespeed out of an old low range GT, I built it as a cheap no frills pub/shop/errand/doss about bike, The intention was to keep it cheap and simple, but no thanks to this place it has evolved to the point where it is now my favourite bike and has nice wheels, brakes, bar/stem combo, etc, etc.

I dont think i'd take it off road as i have my FSR for that, But for bombing around town and just the ease of riding without having to think its perfect :cool:

DSC00655.jpg

Another benefit to singlespeed is it got my mrs into biking, She loathes biking after trying it once years ago, but when i built mine she liked the simplicity of it (she is female) so i built her one and she loves it, She has a tiny little stumpjumper again built on the cheap from Retrobike parts.

DSC00662.jpg

Singlespeed rocks, and if i had the money i'd love to build a nice bespoke one just for the posing factor :cool:

Back