USE post hardware fitment issues...

baj

Senior Retro Guru
I’ve got an old USE seat post and on fitting a (charge spoon) saddle I find the centre area of the rear top clamp bar hits the back edge of the cup before it’s clamped the saddle rails down.. It’s like the shaft that goes through the post is a couple of mm too short?!

I’ve had these posts before and never had any issue, I’m almost certainly doing something wrong, it’s been a long night so probably just tired eyes but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance :)

Re:

I had exactly the same issue with the same saddle. Fortunately for me the top clamps were different. One had a longer threaded area than the other. I swapped them round and it was fine. The bar that goes through the post could do with being slightly longer though and I believe they do different sizes.

Re:

Mines a shock post but, same fitment?

Anyhow, they are slanted on purpose. Front lower than back.
Also maybe charge are tighter between bridge and underside of saddle? My bolts are different from OEM.

Get a pic up.

Attachments

• 20200813_172156.jpg
    20200813_172156.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 513
Re:

I can't speak for the op but on mine the bar the bolts go through is much shorter. In fact the bolt heads almost touch the post. Whilst your front clamp has the central part that comes down towards the bolt one of mine is almost flat..
That is, I believe, the only reason I managed to fit a charge spoon saddle.

I hope it makes sense as I'm a bit pony at uploading pics, as I believe a pic may make my explanation a bit clearer.

Re: Re:

marc two tone":38c2o2co said:

Also maybe charge are tighter between bridge and underside of saddle? My bolts are different from OEM.

Get a pic up.

Your bar looks upside down... Has it got flats where the bolts go through? I know it sounds daft, but try the bar the other way around.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I think the last owner must also have had the same issue - I see the bottom of one of the top clamps has been ground away(!) I hadn’t previously noticed but now I’ve re-arranged it fits.. I’ll upload some photos shortly..

I’m familiar with the clamping arrangement of USE posts as I’ve had them before, always with a Flyte saddle but not sure it’d make a difference. The rod through the post is definitely shorter than the one in the photo above ^^

Attachments

• E526BA21-EE8F-4B54-904B-68FEC751CA1C.jpeg
    E526BA21-EE8F-4B54-904B-68FEC751CA1C.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 90D49842-82C5-4E1B-B1FF-6DC51AF8F197.jpeg
    90D49842-82C5-4E1B-B1FF-6DC51AF8F197.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 401
Re:

Has the bottom of the clamp been visibly ground away as one of mine appears to have come like that. I wonder whether there were different parts for different fitments as my post for the bolts is also shorter than above.

Bike Hoarder":3ne7aej0 said:
marc two tone":3ne7aej0 said:

Get a pic up.

Your bar looks upside down... Has it got flats where the bolts go through? I know it sounds daft, but try the bar the other way around.

That's how it is both ways. This gives a float, or adjustment flexibility.

See a gap between bolt head and rod?

Baj. Some assemblies out there are repro, as oem got lost, broken, accidentally swallowed etc...
The bar is just alu rod with 2 holes drilled in.

Attachments

• 20200814_104759.jpg
    20200814_104759.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 452
Re:

Are they the 'SX' longer bar, with oval slits, the (original) bolts where also profiled to sit into that slit a bit (bolts slightly domed under the head).

The older USE posts had shorter bars, and recessed bolt head holes.

one tick... er., er, umm... somewhere....

ah
follow the link for a picture, stupid photofucket links.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224307&start=10

Matty538":f6letll3 said:
Has the bottom of the clamp been visibly ground away as one of mine appears to have come like that. I wonder whether there were different parts for different fitments as my post for the bolts is also shorter than above.

Hey Matty, yes, I’ve just added photos of mine, its definitely been machined so it’s shorter. The top bar overlaps the cup, I reckon it just needs a longer rod(!)

By the way, I’ve just bought a longer rod and bolts from WD Pro on that link above.. if anyone else is struggling give him a shout - good bloke

Latest posts

Back